1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress *** PHINIX NANO TOWER *** --- MOTY 2011 nomination !!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 9 Nov 2009.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

UPDATE TIME !!!!!!

YAY!!!! :D

OK. Previous and this weekend I have been working on power chamber as you all know.
    I spent a lot of extra time to make sure it will fit it nicely, all panels will align and all gonna look nice.
    I have to say I did it! I'm really shocked when after putting all together it all aligned perfectly and looks pretty cool! I know, I'm bragging, but... well, check it out yourselves! :) Let me explain why I'm so excited about it - I cut, filed and polished every single edge of those panels and elements by hands(!), it is not cut on cnc or laser.. This is why I'm so happy:clap::blush:

This is one of the L shape support elements that keep power chamber panel installed to the case bottom panel.

One thing for all those photos - do not worry about different screws I used to mount it all - I dont have enough of the pretty ones, so used whatever I had. They will all be swapped with nice screws I got from Bill:D

[​IMG]

This is one of the walls of it - when looking at the front of the case, this is right wall...
    it has all 3 supports elements screwed to it.

[​IMG]

This is top support element - notice small 2mm gap between it and panel - this is the space for top power chamber panel which will slide into it! Amazing.. seriously.. :D

[​IMG]

..again, bottom piece...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's rear element - it also has small 2mm gap to align with front panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is - mounted into the whole thing:

[​IMG]

I measured and drill holes for PSU in the bottom case panel. To show it easier I put PSU gasket to make it more visible (PSU is used in my opened PC right now:)
    As you can see I changed the layout fo the elements in power chamber. PSU in no longer along the case, it will be mounted in the front part and pump will end up in the back, near radiator fans.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now, just take a look how those two power chamber panels aligned.. I cannot believe it! How did I manage it, I will never know;)

[​IMG]

Front panel with drilled holes for first, top SSD. I was too tired tonight to measure and drill second set for bottom SSD...

[​IMG]

Here's the corner where right and front power chamber panels align...

[​IMG]

Here's the top one slided in ( that left one, which is in this photo on the front, is only slided in, I will mount it for good using rivets next weekend)

[​IMG]

I will leave you with more photos of the last update - mounted power chamber Ladies and Gentlemen....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Feb 2010
  2. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

I was just online looking for an update on this project and was disappointed when I didn't see one. So while I was browsing through some of the other projects all of a sudden your project thread shot to the top of the page! Thanks for the great pics, looks like it is coming together nicely. I admire your fabrication accuracy!

3. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

awesome man ! :O
    looks very clean !

4. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys!

I wanted to add one sketchup showing the positioning of the PSU and pump, the latest version:)

Here's the rough idea how its going to be situated in power chamber.

[​IMG]

5. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

looking god man.

wolfie

6. Azayles

Azayles Member

That's looking razor sharp, man, razor sharp :D :clap: I don't begrudge you drilling all them holes AT ALL. Whole thing's looking brilliant though ;)

7. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I love the way res sticks into the main chamber a little bit. Great idea!

8. shakka65

shakka65 New Member

Nice updates! Another truly amazing mod, can't wait to see the end product.

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you all for kind words guys!
    I only hope you gonna like it when I finish it:) Its not that much to left actually. Last thing will be powdercoating, which I never done before and I hope it will look nice in matt black. There is a small part of me thinking of powdercoating outside cover panels in different color, but I'm not sure what would it be...
    Frame and main panels would go matt black, cover paenls could be different. or maybe other way around? What do you think guys?

10. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

main panels matt black and the cover panels yellow or white ?just change the sketch up to see how it would look.

[​IMG]

I think it would look good if you put some plexy where it's yellowand have some back lighting-

wolfie

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yeah, maybe you didn't read what I wrote about that front panel, but it is yelow solar acrylic and every single hex will be light up with yellow led. Side windows will be tinted plexi.
    I was thinking of yellow cover panels but it may be to much in real life, if you know what I mean.
    However adding second very contrast color would make it very interesting, good point...
    I could powdercoat all except those covers and spray paint them whatever I feel to change it:)

Last edited: 24 Feb 2010
  12. ashtefere

ashtefere New Member

I love the layout of your case Phinix, it really saves a lot of desk space.

Its exactly along the lines of what I would do if I had the time/workspace to do it.

-Ash

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yo Ash! Thanks for your kind words, man! How's it going?! We saw your water cooled Shuttle mod project with Craig (but looks like you killed it?) What happened?
    Anyway, I hope you alright now and all gets better for you in your life man! I read your story there and have to say that pretty hard, but its so good to see you're back on truck now! Modding rules! :D

Yep, NanoTower was one of my main ideas that were bouncing inside my head after I finished Cube. Cube was small, 30x30cm, but I felt I could do it even smaller. Then after couple of months I decided I cannot just sit and do nothing, I had to clean the dust on my dremel and dig out all the tools. Modding is like smoking weed - when you start, you don't want to stop ! :D

Last edited: 25 Feb 2010
  14. ashtefere

ashtefere New Member

Precisely my thoughts man!

Anyway, the shuttle didnt work out, but I got a new worklog up around here somewhere for its replacement - WITH PICS THIS TIME! lol

Keep modding dude!

-Ash

15. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Your PC is destined to be Legendary phinix :thumb:

16. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

yea I didn't I don't have very much time atm to read all the post.

I think it would look good brushed if you don't like it you can always change it.

wolfie

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

brushed you mean sand it down a bit? Instead of keeping acrylic clear edge?

18. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

yea with the led it will have more of a glow to it but I ment the alu cover

wolfie

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

do you mean brushed cover panels? But painted or plain alu? I would have to check how to brush aluminium... Manual job wont look nice I think...

20. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

[​IMG]

I think it would look good if where it's green(left) would be powder black
    red brushed, you would have to decide in which direction
    green(right) black
    blue brushed would have to be in the same direction as red

well that what I would think would look good

here's a guide on how to brush aluminium but It doesn't suit your mod because you got some to small parts.If you want I can show you an alternate way on Monday with pics cause that's when I get back to work.

wolfie