1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. casper410

casper410 What's a Dremel?

Whats in it for the winner

Jeepers, if i hand out a seriously better case design, i want more then free case and a few bits and bobs.

2. RcTomcat

RcTomcat What's a Dremel?

@subtec
    what software did you use and where did you get the motherboard from?
    the case looks great

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Let's see if some random rambling from me can get you on the right track...

I think if i have to say anything about it, there is a slight discontinuity in the design aspect of the case:
    - The case itself and the "foot" are very angular, very flast somehow, and also very simple.
    - The main case window has a lightly more complicated and less angular shape, and the many rivets don't match the simplicity of the case itself
    - The slits in front and top are too round, and slightly too 'noisy' to let the case shape really shine.

Please don't mistake this post for something saying it's not already awesome. :nono:

4. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

You get an awesome mark on your CV, An awesome PC made for you, with the cooling you specify, don't be a greedy *******.

5. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Hmm... do .Jpegs count as electronic formats... I'm sure pictures could do better than renders! :D

6. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Thanks! I get what your saying. I might change the design of the vent slits to something more angular. I kinda like the industrial look with the exposed screw but I get what your saying about it not matching the theme of the case. I think I was trying to blend to many design themes into one case.

So the question is do I go for the clean, rounded look or the industrial, angular look? :confused:

7. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

You are entitled to your opinion on the matter.

If you dislike the prizes do not enter simple - But please keep this thread for comments on cases or entries.

8. motas

motas What's a Dremel?

I'm back. I dont think I'll get to the next round but i'm not giving up. Tonight I focused a bit more on form than function. Mostly in this I am focusing on ease of use for the end user and ease of manufacture. This case is extremely easy to manufacture and everything has plenty of room to work on with access from front and back and a sliding out motherboard tray.
    Here is a dodgy render of what the front looks like with about a 140mm fan but I've lost all my parts drawings so not to scale but close.
    [​IMG]
    Click to view full size!

After I finish a unrelated part I will draw techinical drawings in cad. Once I have added detail you will see how well I have designed it. Any tips to make it look a bit better I'm not very creative.
    Thanks.

9. aquatuning

From this view I cant help think there is alot of room under the roof at the front of the case possibly great for DDC mounting / light up case badge / SSD or hard drive placement etc etc

Razer2007 likes this.
  10. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

If I'm brutally honest, I think the vents are too large, keep it angular and make them smaller.

Even though I'll probably be competing against you, I'm going to give you a vote at this rate, very nice design.

The real test, who's case will be easier to make :D

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

There's nothing really to change at this point, as I've gone much further then to do an initial design. The construction-plans are basically 90% finished for manufacturing a prototype :D

Basically yes. I just have to add the sidepanels, some holes for screws/rivets and a support-bracket for vertically installing the rads.

As I've used only standard-sizes I got exact 3d-models and 2d-templates for (models and templates were used and tested to be of exact size in my previous scratch-builds) it wasn't too hard to come up with all this in the short time. I just had to think of something to do with all the stuff I've done before.

:D

12. aquatuning

Impressive Jrs77 make sure you e-mail in the design

13. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

Yes , it is ! :thumb:

Had some tubes , but maybe I'll start over 'cause it isn't very accurated :wallbash:

[​IMG]

14. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

thats very cool man! what can I say? great start. the case must be huuuge!

15. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Why's everybody going for SR-2 builds? :|

You've got to think of it in a retailers point of view. Cheapest to make (cost > profit margin) and what's your target audience?

Yes, it's intended as a water cooling case, but what % of watercoolers have the cash to run a dual i7 system? 1% at the most.

The way I've planned my PC is that it'll need as little as possible pieces laser cut (sheets of alu) and that it's quick + easy to assemble.

It's nearly drawn up now, and I'll be keeping my doodles to PM's etc, but I've worked out the cost at just shy of £100 for materials for ONE case, meaning production + labour assembling would probably come to £180 total.

Now for a case around the same size as an ATCS 840, that's a pretty awesome price.

As I posted before, I intend to make this case, hell a sponsor from Phobya would be nice, and I'd be happy to incorporate the logo etc into my designs.

16. Roboduck

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest I couldn't decided what kind of vents I wanted to use so I picked a nice easy slot. Ill be working on new vents and design elements when I a chance.

KISS ;)

There is a lot of empty space there (part of the reason Im not happy with the door design), I might try and squeeze an extra 5.25" bay in there or possibly HDDs but really I would like to not have all that empty space to begin with.

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This is the approach with my chosen design aswell, to design a case suitable for as many people as possible with a retail-price of under €150.

Hey... that's my motto allready ;)

18. Razer2007

I guess my case is quite the same price range as yours

19. Razer2007

2X 5.25 drive bays
    10X HDD drives
    2X pump mounts
    2X quad 120mm rads at front intake
    1X PSU mount
    1X 140mm fan/rad a back

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  20. Roboduck

@Razer2007- Nice! :thumb: It kind of has a TJ07/FT01 look to it. You may want to add a few more fans to get rid of all the hot air the rads will be blowing into the case. Other than that it looks great!

BTW- Damn all you sketchup people and your detailed components! SolidWorks doesn't have near the number of available components (and no where as detailed). :grr:

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.