1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I did check my local supplier for metal back then, where I usually buy all my aluminium-sheets and stuff, but the extruded profiles in the required dimensions for this design would've cost me some €300 allready, so I didn't investigate further into this direction.

Zalman offers a case with a radiator as sidepanel -> http://www.zalman.com/ENG/product/Product_Read.asp?idx=309 . They're not using expensive extruded profiles for passive-cooling there however, but opted for an actively cooled radiator with only a milled faceplate.

A MORA or airplex integrated into the sidepanel would be an option ofc, but you still would need some fans. The only solution for passively cooling the hardware with radiators as sidepanels would be to use an Konvekt-O-Matic on each side, but each of those solutions would aswell be some €300 allready for radiators alone.

So building a retail-case with built-in watercooling is very expensive and only a very few people might even think of buying on. Most people will buy a reasonable priced case tho and buy the watercooling they want to.

I'm thinking about this stuff as someone who's selling designs to other people ofc, allthough not exactly in this area.

2. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

I wasnt meaning full rads just channels so you could effectivly hide most of the tubes.

That would give a very clean and slick look.

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Nitrix, you have a PM. thanks. just need some help.

4. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

I've built the frame for my case out of Alu so far, nice and flimsy! Need some extra support though :|

Will keep pics to myself for now. May give you a PM later on Nitrix.

5. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Agreed, you mean like in Trident? I was very impressed when I saw those :D

6. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Well this is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

Should be able to get 2 120.4 rads in it.
    Its quite large, roughly 600x700.
    Now to keep going!

7. Razer2007

looks like an enlarged TJ07?

8. Trance

The fact that it has a curve at the top instantly makes it look like a TJ07 :duh:
    The TJ07 has a curve at the bottom and a different front shape:
    [​IMG]
    As well as having a lot less drives! Not that all the drives on my one will be usable, some will be fake, I just personally like the look of lots a drive bays, gives it an imposing look in my opinion.
    Personally I'd say it looks more like a CM690 or a curved PC-P50 as it is currently lol.

9. Razer2007

Oh I see. yeah. Mine also looks kinda TJ07 ish. well bet it will be huge. i'm watching this space for moar!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The similarities are pretty obvious tho, but that isn't automatically a negative attribute ;)

11. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Ok re thoughts on my build bearing in mind the integrated element that was mentioned.
    Still keepping things clean and simple and hiding all that can be in the bottom section of the case.

Top section is the built in res for the system scale could be alot less.
    Bottom section holds a quad 120mm rad and psu hdd ext back side will have vents for hot air to escape.

Still undecided what to do with front section of the case where the hdd cages would normally be.
    So here is a quick pic
    [​IMG]

12. Razer2007

cool idea on the integrated res. I like. much like the rich people swimming pools that you can see into the sides :)

The case is still a bit elementary but it will still take shape.

13. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Looks good! That better be one strong case, all that water up there is going to add a lot of weight. I love the idea though. That would be cool if you could see the mobo through the res!

14. Trance

After quite a lot of work, this is what it's now looking like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeh I'm not the sort of person who can do rough outlines, the only thing I haven't put in is the screws...

Last edited: 6 Nov 2010
    Big Elf likes this.
  15. Razer2007

looks like a TJ07 which mean awesome! But I can see the difference between the front panels. I think yours look better. do your best.

16. Razer2007

Built-in res?

[​IMG][​IMG]

also changed the grill a bit.

[​IMG]

WALLPAPER??????
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 6 Nov 2010
  17. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

I'm liking your design plus the fact that you're considering the SR-2 ;D. However the way you're placing the PSU's would mean that the AC power cords would have to plug on the front of the case, which would be cumbersome and anti-aesthetic, and you have a front cover there already ;)

18. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

Looks good in theory but for safety's sake the design of the res would be very important. A leak or damage to the res could result in a many of liters of liquid falling over ALL your components :/

19. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

I agree with you on the fact that smaller cases (than SR-2 ready ones) probably account for the majority of sales, and I wouldn't be surprised if economical feasibility could play an important hand in the result... but case designers given the two options between a mid-tower and a full-tower, the latest offers the greatest possibilities just because of space (although some cases are REALLY huge, which isn't easily perceived by pictures or renders)

I kind of disagree with you on the fact that just 1% of people can afford a dual socket system... many enthusiasts don't even go the SR-2 route but have tri-si, quad-sli systems with 980X processors that are equal if not more expensive than an SR-2 with a couple of cards... also in the specs of the competition the full tower could have the option for 1-3 PSUs haha so I doubt anyone who'll need 2 PSU's or more is running a cheap system of any kind.

Having been modding my cosmos case to fit my SR-2, I'll TRY to make the best use of real state instead of going overboard (but a 100% custom case it's just too much fun!)... although many of us would love to have a big-ass case with tons of space for expansion, in reality even for a niche product I guess there's a limit haha... to the point when shipping is more expensive than the case itself ;P

20. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

The AC power cables are plugged into the PSU using right angle plugs and routed to the back of the case. You can see the AC outlets just below the expansion slots at the back of the case in this pic:
    [​IMG]

Here, take a look at the way it's done in the Lan Gear Da Box, and you should see how it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.