1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

pm sent

2. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

sooooo..... anny idea when the list is going live?

3. jackjack

jackjack What's a Dremel?

hmm can't wait the result...

all design are awesome:rock:

here's a little sketch design of mine:blush:
    enjoy it:D

{param}

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

cool, i almost forot about this!

Are there going to be any changes in the other deadlines, now that it'll bealmost too late before i know if i go through to the next round or not?

5. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

the deadlines will be moved accordingly to give you the correct amount of time in each phase.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

Front page article and voting thread should go live tomorrow guys! Watch this space!

7. aquatuning

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :thumb::rock:

8. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Yay! I better get back to work, I haven't touched my design in a while :worried:

9. aquatuning

ive seen the article :p

looks good

[/tease]

10. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

:wallbash::wallbash: Aaaahhh!! :grr: :waah: I won't be home from tomorrow, till Christmas!!! please put it on today!!!!
    :waah::waah: you'll see some rep comin in... pleeeeaase

11. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Staff Super Moderator

We'll be running the voting for two weeks from tomorrow so you'll be able to see it and vote!

12. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Whew... thanks. I hope all goes well. ;)

13. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Whoop! Can't wait to see all the entries next to each other!

14. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to say "Good Luck" to everyone who entered. :D

15. jackjack

let's hope for the best all :clap:

16. aquatuning

17. jackjack

:wallbash: i'm not on the list :waah:

next time ill try better and on time :blush:

good luck everyone :rock:

18. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

I'm going to post this here instead of the main voting thread, mostly to keep this out of the public eye (sorta) but as i consign myself to defeat at this stage, and in no bitterness (really, no bitterness) i'll offer my thoughts on all the designs in the contest.

1. Bartaggio: a Dual SR2 Build.... Obviously for people MADE OF MONEY. a standard single ATX build is going to be dwarfed inside this case, a lot of wasted space and costs of material to make it will make the overall price of the case out of the budget for many, many people

2. Black Briar: This case is going to be really, really tall. i would have fears of knocking the thing over, especially since if i was to buy this, it would have to go on top of my desk. no way would it fit underneath it, and thus i could accidentally crash into it and knock it clean off...

3. Confusis: I'm not an expert on the structural strength of Acrylic sheets, but surely the black rib like structure could crack and break if a heavy blow is received. i can also perceive this as a dust magnet and also quite a noisy case

4. Danitgeek: a TJ07 clone with no internal structure. sorry to call it that, but it's quite unoriginal, and frankly, quite boring nowadays

5. Demolisher: Tank treads... are you serious. forget the fact that it'll look like a 4 ring cooker... tank treads? Also, being a case that's twice the width as a normal PC case, people who like to hide their PC's in alcoves or in media units may have some difficulties

6. Geort45: At first, the pictures looked like the case was slanted back like some form of rhombus, which makes a nice change from the boring square, cube boxes. but alas the third picture stopped that.

7. GF4rce: You've kept the design simple, which helps, but it's rather inflexible. the 2x 480 rad setup is the only possible configuration bar external methods. I'm not saying that flexibility is mandatory, but like most TJ07 WC builds they all tended to look the same and i feel that will happen with this design

8. GuilleAcoustic: I was not expecting a mATX based design for this contest, since they're not known for their brilliance in high end gaming PC's, but with boards like the GENE stepping up, this could be a popular case for LAN party style machines. If your intention was for a media PC however, i think it will fail badly. after all, i don't think there's any location for a bluray optical drive, so you'll be totally dependent on streaming from another source, or a standalone player.

9. ixmatal: You've made a pretty box, and have posted about how it will fit all sorts of hardware inside of it, but i don't even see a hint about how you plan to mount all this hardware inside bar a motherboard... as such, i cannot judge for myself the cooling efficiency, the cable tidying ability, nor the practicality of using this case without all this excessive cooling hardware inside of it.

10. (No longer participating): I'll be honest, i was damn scared about this design. not only did it cater for configurable watercooling, but also had a good aircooling setup. for someone starting off building a PC would have started with this in an aircooling state, and upgraded to water at a later date, which would have made this very good value for money.

11. Kryss2k: a small, squat case. a carry handle is a nice addition, makes moving a case much easier. the bad points, the lower fans on the front of the case. i assume because the power supply's there, they'd be an exhaust fan. not sure if i want.. Also, if i assume correctly, those side panels have rads on them? if so, i'm not to confident on airflow in that case. either the rads are set to exhaust, and thus you lack an intake, or they're intakes, and you're dumping hot air into the case...

12. ĿªЪяεġø™ & 13. mickcox64: From the looks of things, you both have gone with the same design. Mickcox64 has the more refined design and would get the nod from me if it was between these two.

14. MrMads: I don't know if i want to build a PC with this case, or put it on the front of my car as a snowplough. I can see the drivebay doors being a fragile part on the case. i'm personally not a fan of the wedge shapes, and also the black/blue colour combo (it's been done to death already).

15. Razer2007: Much like Demolishor, your double width case won't be popular with some people. but i must admit it's rather stylish, despite the front looking like an aircon unit. I do like the 2 built in reservoirs in the back, even if filling and checking levels will be a PITA to do. but the lack of an easy accessible 5.25" bay is the main downside. If i was to use this case personally, where your 5.25" bay is, is a bookcase, thus i can't use it. a possible alternative would be a roof mounted bay, but that would be limited access to some people.

16. ritter: A ATX+miniITX combo case is an 'unique' selling feature, one so unique i never knew there was a market for it. to me, your artwork is quite confusing to fully understand where everything is going.

17. Roboduck: Ahh... In terms of initial design, my mortal nemesis in this contest. a case that has gone through many revisions during the progress thread, some good, others not so good. this current design, i like the HAF style bulge at the front it helps break up the squareness. downsides of the crossflow rad setup are apparent in your design with the lack of a front 5.25" bay. you've compensated by using a slimline drive, but i still think it's not good enough to rely on just the side bays. the interior layout looks good, would have preferred a partition wall between the case and the rads, keep that heat out of there.

18. Shuper' Luu': You appear to have your radiators exhausting or intaking up against a solid plate... i don't think they're going to work that way.

19. SnowyOwl: I really can't decide what this case is. it's either a Mac, or it's one of the noname budget PC cases trying desperately to look like one of Scan's Dream PCs

20. Subtec: an interesting idea with the lower front of the case being multipurpose but i could possibly see an issue with the random person that wants to use that section for more hard drives/optical drives, and thus relying on the rear PSU mount. not only will it have to be made to clear the multitude of different motherboard layouts and their assorted cables. but also the cable that connects to the last PCI slot to take it behind the tray... what if their last slot is a PCI-E 16x slot, and this person just so happens to want multi GPU.... Main sticking point is the custom radiator in the roof. i think you should change this to a radiator you can actually purchase because i don't think that phoyba would consider making a custom sized radiator just for this case (because let's face it, this case would be the only one to fit it without modification)

21. Ta10n: you've done something different, tried to add some style and flair, some would say it's a thermaltake level 10 style of design. however, are you aware that there's no form of grill/mesh/slots to get air into the thing for cooling? may i ask how you plan to plug this PC in when the PSU's at the front of the case? finally, a lack of 5.25 bays. with so many fans being connected to it, a fan controller is a must, shame there's not really anywhere to put one

22. Tigerkeen: I honestly am speechless, i don't know what to say.

23. Timlander: you only have 1 diagram and descriptions about 4 features of your case,a few more diagram detailing these features would be helpful. other than that, not much else to say

24. Tozsam: i do like this modular tubing design for the side radiator sections, it would allow you to add longer tubes to extend the sides out further for thicker radiators. i think however it's small size doesn't give you space to add more drives and will not help with things like cable tidying

25. Trance: a motherboard tray that can be put into 4 positions eh... I wonder who came up with that first... anyway. front mounted rad will vent hot air over the hard drives, which i can see will be a bit of a problem. a movable midplate looks good, be interesting to see if it's doable in reality

26. Vehement: it's an Antec 1200, and i know that watercooling a 1200 is not as easy as you'd think it would be (because My 1200 is watercooled and it was a absolute pig) if you've based the design off the 1200's measurements, may i make a suggestion, extend the distance between the 5.25" bays and the motherboard tray by a good 60mm, makes life a little bit easier.

27. Xtrafresh: good amount of drives and a design that looks more like a display than a PC, but your radiators are up against a plate, i don't think they'll work that way

28. xXSebaSXx: much like #1, #12, #13 and #22, you've designed around radiators top and bottom of the case, your design however offers a little more flexibility, which is a good thing.

29. viljoenp: you're hoping a custom built radiator will be provided when you purchase this case... i'm pretty sure the design brief says to design using pre-existing WC hardware.

30. Wing Zero: No i am not immune to this. My design had 2 goals. i was designing for myself first and thus tailored it to fit on my desk, and that i wanted to keep the size of the case smaller than the Corsair Obsidian 800D, a popular WC build case. if i didn't have this self imposed restriction, then i could have easily added dual PSU support, and room for 140mm fan radiators.

31. Zesti: At first glance, i thought it was a Dell. looking at it again, it's a subtle design that had design elements that will work for air and water cooling, such as the roof vent allowing aircooled graphics cards to take air from outside the case for cooling

32. Zukomonitor: Not to confident on your V design for radiator mounting. would have scrapped that and just used 2 fat radiators in a crossflow setup. i also feel it's a shame that you're hiding away the reservoirs when the front of your case design could easily show them exposed, or behind a window panel.

19. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I have read through most of your comments on other peoples cases and I have to say a lot of your "criticism" sounds more like insults to me. I respect your opinions but I think you need to work on how you deliver them so as not to come across as insulting or disrespectful.

The rads will actually pull air in through the front and blow it out the sides, not in one side and out the other. If you look again there is a partition between the main body of the case and the radiator compartment. I have a few ideas for the 2nd stage to address everyones concerns regarding the lack of front mounted 5.25" bays using the removable rad compartment and a replacement compartment with drive bays instead of rad mounts.

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

This was exactly my intention with the design of the case, to make it as flexible and valuable as possible.
    At an estimated $150 retail-price I think this case would completely destroy anything coming form LianLi, CoolerMaster or Silverstone in regard to it's value and flexibility.

However, after the voting went live I soon realised, that I was taking the wrong approach with my idea for this contest, which is the reason I withdrawed. My idea just doesn't fit within a contest, where the presentation of the entries is as awful as this one.
    Bit-tech isn't the one to blame tho, but only aquatuning and Phobya, who should've shown more professionalism in setting up the contest instead of just outsourcing the work to a single person (Combatus) who clearly wasn't able to handle the workload within the given timeframe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.