1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyetree

Tyetree What's a Dremel?

Macon cinema 4d

2. makymaco

makymaco What's a Dremel?

The case i am building :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Some internal structure. the reservoirs will change. 140mm fan at back, 2X quad rads at front. 2X pumps (1 bottom, 1 top) and 2 5.25" bays, and I think 6 HDD bays. More tomorrow [HOPEFULLY RENDERS!!!!!!!!!!!!]

[​IMG]

4. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Yet another update! Ill just keep posting pics as I go unless anyone has an objection :D

So I added a 120mm fan to the top as an exhaust fan and 2x 140mm (or 120mm) fans to the back that can also be used to mount a second radiator. I did model up a door for the top but Im not happy with it. Also modeled the water blocks, fittings and tubing. All the vents will have dust filters on them to help keep the interior clean and reduce noise. I haven't modeled the Mobo tray yet but Im getting there.

Let me know what you think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Liking your work Roboduck, I might have to give solidworks a look, because there is NO way I'm modelling my case in Max or Maya! There isn't enough time in all the world for that...

What you gonna use to render razer2007? I presume you're modelling in sketchup like me. I had a look at kerthykea a while back and never got into it.

6. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

Still very sketchy but it's just the idea (concept) ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To do list :
    • Tubes ;
    • DVD & HDD Bays
    • Side Panels

:lol:

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Been sketching out some ideas today :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 17 Dec 2010
  9. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Hey. Long time occasional visitor, first time poster. Guess it's about time I reg'd here.

I've been designing cases for fun off and on for a number of years, though I've never built any. I usually stick to SFF-sized cases, so designing a full size case is a bit of a change for me. The design I'm submitting here is a modification of a design I had actually knocked up a couple months back in a fit of inspiration. The original was based on a (theoretical) triple 180mm rad; for this design, I upped it to a triple 200mm, since this fits neatly as an extension of Phobya's pre-existing 200mm rad, and a custom rad was mentioned as being possible. It also gives more options for fans than a 180mm rad would.

Details:
    -Intended to be used with a custom triple 200mm Phobya radiator (645 x 200 x 36mm); of course smaller rads (e.g., quad 140mm) will fit
    -Air flow is entirely handled by the three 200mm fans
    -Designed with support for the EVGA SR-2 motherboard
    -10 expansion slots
    -Dual ATX power supplies, intake and exhaust are both external
    -Two 5.25" bays
    -Five 3.5" bays
    -Two (or more) 2.5" mounting points
    -Size is currently 500 x 210 x 666mm (HxWxD; that last dimension was not intentional, believe it or not), just under 70 litres
    -The visual design is clean, minimal and linear

Everything is very rough at this point, and subject to change. Lots of details are absent.

On with the pics:

[​IMG]
    Front view. Front vents are exhaust for the power supplies.

[​IMG]
    3/4 front low. Side vents are intakes for the PSUs and hard drive bays.

[​IMG]
    Side view. Smoked acrylic side window is evident here. Power, reset, LEDs, ports, etc. are located in the first 3.5" bay location on the side of the case; behind them are mount points for two 2.5" drives.

[​IMG]
    Side panels off. Triple 200mm rad stretches the entire length of the case. Pump/res locations are not fixed, and depend on what hardware is installed. The case floor is another option depending on the length and number of expansion cards and power supply being used.

[​IMG]
    Rear quarter view. Here you can see the dual PSUs with their power plugs routed to the rear.

[​IMG]
    Airflow illustration. The concept here was to take advantage of warm air's natural tendency to rise as much as possible, so virtually all the air flow moves bottom to top. There's about 20-25mm around the 5.25" bays for air to flow, which is channelled up through the hard drives and through the rad. The case bottom aft of the forward assembly is intended to be have as unrestricted air flow as possible, with just a large air filter and mesh.

[​IMG]
    HDD access panel.

[​IMG]
    3/4 front overhead view. Pretty minimal on this side, with just the side intake vents to break up the surface. The three 200mm exhaust fans are evident here.

Comments & criticism welcome.

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

:clap:

Is it possible to angle the right/back corner to match the front/left? It looks like you should be able to make space for that, and that way the radiator in the back won't build up a hot pocket as easily when placed against a wall. Plus, i imagine it could look a little better, not sure before i see it though.

By the way, awesome rendering! What do you use?

11. A-Dub

A-Dub What's a Dremel?

I'm designing a mid-tower, here's what I've come up with so far. The 800D/TJ07 layout is pretty popular, and for a good reason, but I wanted to do something a bit different.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I'm still deciding how many fans the case will have, and might try to fit in another 120 or 240 rad.

[edit]Just a couple more notes on my design. I am planning on building it, and the panels may look a bit this since I will be making it out of 1/2" thick wood. The side/rear panels aren't shown but will be added in for the final design. I can make those 1/2" thick panels a bit thinner for the final design if needed.[/edit]

12. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Kryss2k – Nice design is the strip going across the window for rad placement?

Woody_294 you have a good frame here I cant wait to see how this progresses!

makymaco – I like the sheer amount of space you have to play with in the case, will you be giving the pumps a shelf to sit on at all?

Roboduck – That looks stunning! Love the roof, it’s a slick look.

ĿªЪяεġø™ - nice first sketches is that a quad rad in the roof triple in bottom?

Editor 22 – nice idea separating the cooling like that and the case has a good unique look to it

Jrs77 – love the way you have visually shown the options available, great design!

Subtec – welcome to the forum glad we could get you on board your design is very stealthy and still fits the latest hardware – and boy o boy 3 x 200mm rad!!! :jawdrop:

Overall guys this comp has only been running for 5 days and to see sooooo much effort being put in is truly great! Keep up the good work!

13. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

That was the idea - was just something different to what everyone else was doing... I was thinking a 12cm and 24cm rad could be used and 3 matching fans on the right with hard drives mounted behind them (I like symmetry).

I'm personally not keen on top mounted fans but intend on adding mounts for them and a vanity plate to cover.

Not sure if rads mounted there will work as I've never had a watercooled system but don't see any reason it'd cause too many problems - any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

14. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Thanks!!

Don't forget to send your entry in an email to modding@bit-tech.net too - you could wait till 28th though as you might want to change it between now and then!

15. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Just wondering, if I make the case myself, and build it. Does that count as an entry? :?

16. Combatus

Lol! If you mean can you make a scratch build based on the same design you enter, that's fine but your actual entry needs to be in an electronic format.

17. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

What combatus said but ateast you will know if the design works LOL

18. Roboduck

@subtec- 600mm Rad!? :rock:

@jrs77- looks like your ready for stage 3 already!

@Editor22- I love it, its not your typical tower and its not a cube. I like the fact when you look through the window the only thing you will see is the mobo.

@Nitrix- Thanks! Im still not happy at with the roof though :wallbash:

19. Combatus

Really? I think it looks great! Much better with wider grilles! My only concern would be stuff falling in through them but if you have a rad or fans blowing up through them it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

20. Roboduck

@Combatus- Im glad you like it but yeah I'm still not satisfied. Im not sure what it is I just don't like it yet.

Here is a exploded render I did just for fun.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.