1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 2

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 3 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Hope you can find your file :sigh:. Hope you get some time to work on it, I really like the design.

Mind throwing a TJ07 next to yours for a size comparison? I think your case might be smaller than I am thinking it is.

I like the original feet better too but it was a large piece of material and made the case a lot taller than it needed to be. These probably won't be the final feet but they will do for now.

2. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Short reply. update in about an hour.

Size comparison

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Razer2007

*long sigh* If only I had a better PC so I can render my stuff a bit faster.

I know I don't need to render it, I just like to present my Updates in a nice way.

wow my CPU cooler's heatpipes are burning my finger while I'm rendering.

Last edited: 4 Jan 2011
  4. Razer2007

Okeeey. A few changes, with a few renders.

Input needed: I still need to get a better place for optical drives. My 2c is to make the feet smaller, the put a kind of extension on top of the c........ naaah. dunno. Any thoughts?

I moved the one pump down to make room for my new 7 HDD cage with cooling!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Vents

[​IMG]

And dual PSU support (does that diagonal vent for the exhaust fan look weird?)

[​IMG]

Cable management Wow this is a beautiful render. :)

[​IMG]

EYECANDY!!!

[​IMG]

5. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Very nice razer! nfi how I'm gunna be able to compete this round!

6. Razer2007

Thank you! Just try ur best man! And I'll help if you struggle with something.

7. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Congrats and good luck to each of the competitors moving on to stage 2!!!

I am a little bit behind, my hard drives/controller died over the holiday. But, through some donations and bartering I now have a nice 790i+q8200+5870 build (water cooled of course). Trying to get everything from backup but the HD's don't want to play nice, and having trouble trying to get my apps to play nice with Win7x64 (was running XP on Athlon64x2 before).

For the sake of Time, I am going to build everything from scratch in Sketchup. After I have a chance to go through the "getting started" guide tonight I will post up the summary of my entry and and some internal views.

Roboduck - To me, the full front mesh matches the rest of the case better than the front with optical drives. Maybe make the spot where your buttons and usb ports are a little taller and add a slim-line slot-load dvd-rom there?
    Razer - Those new renders are -really- good!

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  8. Razer2007

Thank you man. Are there ant criticism you can give about the case. I wanna improve on all flaws.

9. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Razer - There isn't anything that I could add, you are already trying to work out optical drive locations and I don't see a real clean way to add them, my only other concern would be filter locations because with the size of the airways on the front it will be really obvious how often I have to dust LOL

10. Razer2007

mmm. filter. haven't thought about that. I'll see what I can do.

EDIT:

Update. I haven't worked on fan filter just yet, but:

-I made space for push/pull configuration for the rads
    -changed the vent on the back panel for better looks and cooling

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jan 2011
  11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Wouhouuu I made it to phase 2 : )

Well ... first of all excuse my english, I'm kind of rustied.

Here's my phase 1 concept :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, it can fits 2 360 rads on the back, as well as 6 HDD. All HDD are on rails and plug on a backplane connector (just like Lian-Li's case). GPU on the pics are GTX480s.

All I/O are located on top and hidden by a removable case top.

My first idea was to make a tiny case which can fits only µATX mobo since there's a real lack of tiny WC case .... but now I find it maybe too restrictive. Maybe I could extend the size a little and make it fits ATX mobo (wich adds only 59mm in width). XL-ATX would add another 59mm in height and SR-2 could fit if I add 127 height and 102 width.

FIY the actual size is about 300 x 400 x 500 (w / d / h).

I was also thinking about moving the HDDs on the bottom and only leave the rad on the back (and maybe turn them by 90° to attach them on the backside instead of case sides).

Any inputs would be welcomed (pros and cons).

EDIT : Would it be allowed to change the size of the case to fit XL-ATX / HPTX instead of µATK only ? The concept will still remain the same.

12. Razer2007

I like the design. I'd also want the case to fit XL-ATX, but you should ask Combatus if you are allowed to.

Where does the Optical drives come?

13. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

I would have to agree. You could have side facing optical drives but I don't see a good way of getting them to face forward with your current radiator design (I have the same problem so don't feel bad). If you shorten one of the front rads to a 2x120mm you could maybe put the drives on their side facing forward? ixmatal is right, since your rads are blowing in I would defiantly think about filters.

There isn't really much else I can think of, your design is pretty solid. You may just want to work on making things modular. Make it so you can locate the HDD bay in multiple locations.

If you start using larger motherboards you are going to really start pushing your case up in size. If you could remove the compartment under the mobo and leave that whole side for just the motherboard compartment? That way you could have a larger motherboard without increasing the size of the case.

14. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks a lot, I'll ask Combatus.

That was an issue in the current design. I was thinking of USB optical drive or slim internal to keep the size down. If I can increase the size to XL-ATX, it will be easier to fit 5.25" piece of hardware.

15. Razer2007

I edited the design, by using the same slide-in mechanism as the HDD bays, for the pumps. That means you can swap the HDD's and the pumps. I'm thinking of doing the same with the optical drives, that can be in the place of the top PSU. when you need 2 PSU's, you remove the optical drive cage, and install the 2nd PSU. :D

16. GuilleAcoustic

Thanks for the advise. I'll make some sketch and try one or two things. XL-ATX won't increase the size too much, only 5cm in both width and height. It will result in a w 419 x d 420 x h 559 mm case.

EDIT : Maybe I coul'd take advantage of this to switch the dual 360 rad for dual 420 rads

17. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Yes that would be fine :D - would be interesting to know what the size of the case is before and after though.

18. GuilleAcoustic

the footprint will be approx 400 mm x 400 mm ... but I bet it will be quite a pillar :D (like the lian-li TYR, but with a square base).

I'm gonna try just a simple box tonight to have a better idea of the final size.

19. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

I really love Subtec case and Roboduck is also great , Subtec keep the Sr2 support , i would even produce for myself a case like that , small and powerfull!:thumb:

20. GuilleAcoustic

Man, I really do love your case : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.