1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Phone Choice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 23 Jul 2021.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

My venerable 4 year old S7 is losing battery capacity and is ugly having dropped it last year.

I've been looking at a replacement recently, but things have become more urgent today as it has now shut itself down 3 times since this morning.

I've cleared the cache, but it still did an unprompted restart.

Looked at lots of reviews and can't decide between the Samsung A52 5G, or the A72.

They are essentially the same phone spec wise other than a 0.2" bigger screen and more (4500 vs 5000 mAh) battery capacity on the 72.

There is only £20 between them; the A71 has a telephoto camera and 25W fast charger, but the
    A52 is 5G.

I don't burn through phones and there's not a lot to get excited about feature wise year on year these days.

Am I going to lose out by not being 5G ready? There's no sign of it here currently.

Thanks as ever

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Would you find 5G support to be a useful feature away from home?

Last edited: 23 Jul 2021
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I would buy 5g if you will have it for the next 4 years but I use a lot of data out and about, always hard to know what feature is going to be useful over time, I bought my missus a Pocophone F1 without NFC, despite knowing it was a good feature (I spent quite a few years designing them so might be a little biased on the tech :D) but even so it was never really a big thing, then Covid happens and all I hear about from the missus is how her phone is the only one in the house that has not got NFC and I am in the doghouse for buying her a cheap phone :D

Worth mentioning that you get good trade in from samsung directly on even broken phones if you look at high end like s21, it was something like £250 for my broken s8 which makes a high end device not too much more if screen and cameras would sway you, s22 should be out shortly so bound to be some deals onthe old stuff soon.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

How long ago was that? I have an S8 lurking unused.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

a few months back but just looked on an s21 and a broken s8 will net you 200quid trade in, obviously you can also use cashback sites and samsumg pay for a further 10% off too.

6. Arboreal

Thanks @sandys I just went on the Samsung site, and the S7 would have been given £100 trade in other than it has a broken scree. Live chat confirmed it wasn't eligible :waah:

S8 is currently listed at 'up to' £100 off, like my S7

If Carphone warehouse have one in the morning at £399, same as Samsung, I'll buy it there & then.

Spoke to a friend tonight who also suggested that 5G would be better to have ready than the additional camera.

In an ideal world, I'd wait for the (likely to be released) A72 5G model, but as mine's that sketchy, and it's for work, I can't take the risk.

Thanks for all the sound advice :thumb:

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I have sent in broken screen phone, you select the phone and say it is not in good condition, job done, I've sent them all my e waste :D

trade in value depends on the value of phone you re buying

Arboreal likes this.
  8. Arboreal

Interesting, not quite what I thought...

Worth a punt then

**EDIT** Managed to do a full backup 3rd time lucky on Smart Switch to my PC in case it dies before I can do a cable switch over... phew