1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Photo leaks of Apple Tablet glass

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jan 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. AcidJiles

AcidJiles New Member

first.

All I can say is meh

3. Matticus

Matticus ...

:eyebrow:

I don't know if I like the idea of a tablet, I don't know what I would do on it.

Having an big version of the iphone os would be pretty terrible, though the core of apple elitists will buy it anyway. OSX ran ok on my 10inch eee when I did a test hackintosh, so scaling it down would surely be very easy.

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Member

though classy, I really dont like the design of the iphone imo,lol

5. Unknownsock

Unknownsock New Member

It's a giant, overly expensive and oddly shaped frisby!

6. LJF

LJF Modded

I find myself struggling to understand the real use/need for any of these new Slate/Tablet devices.

Would anyone care to enlighten me with some suggested uses that would make buying one even remotely feasible?

7. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I hope it's got more than an iPhone under the bonnet.

8. mi1ez

mi1ez Active Member

This doesn't look genuine to me...

9. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Ok - why the hell would a tablet require a slot for an earpiece speaker? You're not going to use at as a phone - at 10.1 inches, if you used it in the same manner as an iPhone, the mic for the receiver would be too far away from your face. And it'd be damn uncomfortable to hold in one hand...

I call fake. Mr Ives will have come up with something much more tablet like than that.

10. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

This.

Unless they're making an iPhone for giants?

11. cybergenics

cybergenics New Member

Another Apple 'solution' looking for a problem.

12. impar

impar Well-Known Member

Greetings!

All I have to say quote regarding Apples tablet:

PureSilver likes this.
  13. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I'm interested to see what Apple produces.

I don't think it's possible to judge the product based on a blurry and possible false JPEG!

14. DbD

DbD Member

Same as netbooks - they are looking for that magical device that fills the gap between laptops and smart phones. Netbooks have all ended up being underpowered laptops (run windows, etc) so a big fail. These early tablets look like oversized phones.

The one area that really wants something that size is an ebook reader. Hence building on that what they really want is something with an screen suitable for ebooks that also does video, web surfing, basic document processing, gps, wireless, built in 3G yet is really slim and light and has 10 hours+ battery life.

Tegra 2 would be a great chip to run something like that, just need the rest of the hardware and software to go with it.

15. harveypooka

harveypooka Fond of rumpots and crackpots

I know many people at university who use Netbooks and are perfect for a light bit of coding, essay work, and so on.

I work with someone at a charity who uses a Netbook for when he travels to Africa: he has to write reports and use Skype, needs a larger battery life than a laptop can provide. Cheapness is also a factor.

I would not call Netbooks a "fail" at all. They serve people with different requirements.

16. LJF

LJF Modded

Yeah, ok I agree. But being positioned in a gap between netbooks and ebook readers in the marketplace... Surely that's a pretty tight gap!

And for all the hype this yet unconfirmed gadget is receiving, I don't see the mass market flocking blindly to it as they have with the iPhone... at least I hope for humanity's sake they don't! I know so many people with iPhones who do nothing more than call and text. I understand that it's the allure and the fashionability of the device has suckered them in. A 10"+ slab of screen won't have the same credentials. I'm sure it will have an astronomical price tag though!!

17. simosaurus

simosaurus New Member

i will be gutted if it looks like this. I don't even want it. it will just be a crime against humanity

It will look exactly like an imac, only smaller and hand held. Uni body alu milled body and buttonless front w/ black borders

18. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I find the idea appealing for simple web surfing and ebook reading on the sofa or in bed where a full blown laptop is uncomfortable and overpowered. Sitting in a cafe and being able to read newspapers at comfortable resolutions. Moving a full laptop around the house through out the day isn't ideal nor is eating at a table with it next to you.

Having a robust tablet with solid state internals and wifi/3g is perfect for what I use a laptop for 90% of the time. An OLED screen would make reading comfortable for long periods of time, keep heat and battery life reasonable, and still be good enough to display a portfolio to clients.

The fact is, computers are over powered for most of what they are asked to do and aren't ergonomically designed to be functional away from desks. Smaller tablets make sense for this sort of thing. even the eepcs need to be opened and rested on a lap or table, they aren't designed to be held. Try taking a 17" MBP into the loo to read the New York Times, and you'll see what I mean. While my phone can to it, it's best for quick things, not for extended reading. And certainly not for news/magazines that have to be scrolled in 2 directions. Us older people still like the newspaper to be in a newspaper layout.

I'm excited less by what OS it runs, but whether or not I can get subscription magazines in a format I'm used to. To be able to subscribe to all the ones I want, and have them delivered to a tablet rather then by mail is very appealing to someone who travels and moves as often as I do. And since Apple is known to have met with publishers, there is a rather good chance I will be able to do that.
    not really.

Well the hype should tell you how much people have been waiting for a device like this. Like I said, you can't read on an iPhone and net books are still laptops. I think this will be well received and spawn a few competitors that will kill the ebook readers (which should never have been designed with such a singular focus), and rightfully so. I think what is pissing everyone off is that Apple is bringing it to market when everyone has been talking about it. How hard would it have been to take a netbook and do this? But no one did. How hard would it have been to scale Android up to do this? But no one did.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2010
  19. Passarinhuu

Passarinhuu I huffs cats

The major selling point of Apple's Slate is probably the integration with online store and certains deals with publishers to allow paper media to transit to the new platform. I am really looking forward to knowing what kind of agreements Apple has achieved and what exclusive services will they be able to offer to surpass competition...
    Without all of that it will be just another soulless paperweight like some tablets that were presented at CES, and I certainly won't be interested at all

20. Ape

Ape Suck my barrel

Anything we do on iPhone right now can be done even better, i.e. now you can get a proper game of Football Manager running because of the detail levels allowed on the new screen. You can surf a decent sized webpage without having to pinch and stretch the screen to read posts and forums. eBooks suddenly become a waste of £200+ because the tablet will do that and a million more things.

To not understand this will help people achieve more than they currently can on iPhone is almost the same as misunderstanding the need for netbooks ... you do 'get' netbooks right? But you don't 'get' this - right? ... ooh, it's an Apple product! Here we go again.

Lastly, hope that picture is fake. I can't imagine for one second that Apple would invest the sums they have, and security over information leaks to protect THAT!

Tags: Add Tags