1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

@Vers
    thanks for the tip.
    Not sure how to defuse it seeing as to how it sits around the lens.
    It has a white translucent plastic defuser already over the bulbs, but as for defusing it further Im not exactly sure how to go about doing that.

2. Vers

Vers ...

You would have to cut some type of diffusion material to fit the ring, and use something like gaffer tape to mount it. Knowing how to ratio properly is another important factor (4:1 is said to be a good ratio for more dynamic lighting). Personally I use a 580 with a minisoftbox mounted on a straight bracket, which works very well, IMO, albeit its a lot larger and relatively less convenient.

Here is a shot of my setup in case your wondering (for the most part I do not use a tripod while shooting, btw)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And a few shots taken with said setup
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Feb 2010
  3. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

This caterpillar was incredibly incredibly hard to take because it was hanging from a tree on a 2m+ long thread of silk. The wind was blowing and he was swinging around like crazy so it was hard to keep it in frame let alone in focus. I took about 50-60 shots of this guy and this was the only one that turned out reasonably sharp. the rest were blurry blobs.

200mm
    f/5.6
    1/500
    ISO 640

[​IMG]

4. paultan

paultan R E V E N T O N

my photo of the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

The church in Pott Shrigley, tonight.

[​IMG]

6. clumsy_culhane

clumsy_culhane Minimodder

Click for Bigger

My maths teacher is really quite wealthy, and lets me lend his gear when I ask. It has been awesome to use awesome equipment, like the 5dMkII, 135 f/2, 70-200 f/4 IS, 35 f/1.4, 17-40 and recently he bought the new canon macro (100 f/2.8L IS USM Macro). The sharpness wide open, and stopped down is the best of any lens used so far. Very high contrast too. Focus is slow(ish) for a USM lens, but im guessing thats caused by the huge amount of focal travel, due to it being a macro lens.

Photo Details : 5d MkII, aforementioned 100mm macro, 1/320, f/2.8, Handheld, natural light.

[​IMG]

7. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Initial Edits:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

More like what I'll deliver:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 18 Feb 2010
  8. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Is it just me, or is there too much light on the wall behind, and not enough on the subject?

Finally got my new, used Nikon 180mm f2.8 IF ED, AF fine tuned (was front focusing), and am happy with it now;

[​IMG]

D700
    F2.8
    Iso 250
    1/320th

[​IMG]

D700
    f2.8
    Iso 250
    1/640th

9. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Greg, how did you get on with the Fine Tune feature? What did you use to calibrate it?

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Well, I suppose I could have lit Leslie and Renate more; particularly Leslie's eyes. And the edits the client will get won't look like this. But it's a poorly lit gym, and it's supposed to convey that atmosphere. I like my images to have some personality.

I'll add some more involved edits after I make some coffee.

11. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

[​IMG]
    Large

[​IMG]
    Large

The car was in Bristol on our way in. Grabbed a couple of shots with the new K-x and kit with the intention of desaturating everything but the car. The cat just happened to be on the fish tank.

She's slightly out of focus, going by the eyes, but I think that's my fault. Just need to tweak the AF mode and get used to the camera in general.

12. ernestBurney

ernestBurney Who What Where?

Very nice pic of cat, I like the half of the cat being pitch black

13. charlesbeams

charlesbeams TRANCEFORMer

[​IMG]
    Female

[​IMG]
    Male

Male and Female Bullfinch in my garden, taken through my dads telescope with my Casio Exilim EZ1080

14. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

I like the gritty quality of the initial edits, it fits the subject matter but the second two are much more commercially viable.

You need that much light on the wall, IMO to separate the subjects from the background, especially with those dark shirts.

15. Jumeira_Johnny

I have better ones now, in the line of the first 2. Better, more smoothly edited. They'll likely go up on the website. This makes 4/6, and on monday I'll do the last 2. I want to get them all together before the put them up in a "current projects" folder.

16. Vers

Vers ...

Disagree about too much light on the bg, but agree that the subjects are both under lit, specifically the faces. I'm not sure what the shots are for but there are a few things that jump out at me--mainly the lighting but also the subjects expressions. IMO, of course.

17. Vers

Vers ...

Have you used his 135 yet? If so, and you still think the 100 has better IQ, I think he better send it in ;)

18. Jumeira_Johnny

They are part of a series of personal trainers I was asked to do. Mainly for promotional stuff on their website. Once I have all 6 done, I'll edit them side by side to get the over all look uniform. But here are some of the others:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. eddie_dane

eddie_dane Used to mod pc's now I mod houses

Been on a sport-rant lately. Yesterday it was women's tennis (until the AF on my 80-200 went out)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Jumeira_Johnny

You should have post the one of the lady in all black serving. #34, and #6.

Ahh, I see #6 is already up there. Nice.