1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. Cheap Mod Wannabe

Cheap Mod Wannabe New Member

2. Umbra

Umbra New Member

[​IMG]

Pendeen lighthouse, Cornwall.

3. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

5. stonedsurd

6. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Dammit Jazz!

Stop doing this to me...:jawdrop:

7. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Sorry not sorry :p

8. Instagib

Instagib Well-Known Member

9. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

10. samkiller42

[​IMG]
    EMT 43064 by samkiller42, on Flickr

Cycled 15 miles to capture this, East Midlands Trains service on the south coast on a special charter for Charity, Sheffield to Swanage and back. The leading power car has South West Trains, as EMT and SWT are sister companies under Stagecoach group.

Sam

11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I think this is only my second ever contribution to this thread, but don't take that as an excuse not to give constructive criticism! This is the first macro photograph I've ever shot. I was trying to capture the chipped tip of my Spyderco Delica 4 earlier on a CF surface with two halogen desk lamps as the source. I couldn't get the lighting right on the tip so the chip didn't look blown out, so I eventually shot it off the surface instead and got a better result. I'm hoping the addition of my Aputure Amaran LED ring flash will make this sort of thing easier to achieve in the future.

[​IMG]

I need to buy a 55-58mm adapter ring so I can put my Vivitar macro lens on the end of the Sigma 28-80mm and get an even tighter shot.

Last edited: 14 Jun 2014
  12. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

I don't really have anything to say other than...ooo spyderco!

13. Unicorn

I do love my Spydercos! I'm a bit disappointed that this one has chipped/cracked. I don't have a clue how it happened, because this knife is only used for light tasks around the house and workshop. It's not legal to carry so it doesn't get the same use as some of the others which are and go everywhere I do.

14. k-limes

k-limes New Member

15. Unicorn

Here we go again, a much more interesting subject than the chipped/cracked tip of a knife this time.

My brother brought his girl's dog (Spike) to our place for Father's day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd really like some constructive comments on these from more experienced photographers. Mainly, which is your favourite and why? Also what do you think could be improved in any or all of them?

16. samkiller42

My fav is the second photo of her face. I can see why people like dogs.

Regarding feedback, i can't comment as i'm not that good either.

Sam

17. Umbra

Umbra New Member

No offense to anyone here but you will probably be better off using a site like Amateur Photographer to get some feedback on your shots as that is a big part of their forum and there are a lot more people on that forum with the time to reply.

I'm certainly no photography expert but one thing I've learnt is that it's not expensive gear that makes a good photograph and most people can learn the technical side of using a camera but the hardest thing is seeing the shot and composition, you could have a stunning landscape all around you but if you can't compose what you see it won't have the impact you want, artists don't spend time composing their pictures before painting them for nothing.

Try and think about what you actually want in the shot, for instance, this shot of the dog is all about the dog so it's better without the fence on the right and any other distractions,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've cropped the shot and using the rule of thirds focused on one of the dogs eyes, but you can do that when composing the shot before taking it, so you will have a better shot that you can work with in post processing (photoshop) if needed, composition is important because it naturally draws the viewers eye to something in the picture.

I spent £1000 on a camera years ago and it was an expensive wake up call, I didn't take better pictures despite taking months to really learn how to use the camera but I then realized I knew nothing about composition and my attitude of take loads of shots and I might get one good shot was very frustrating and often didn't produce a shot I was happy with.

My attitude now is to try and compose a picture and then take a few shots and see if it's what I want, if it's not try composing from a different viewpoint or use aperture priority to control depth of field or shutter priority for moving subjects, the learning never ends ;)

The most basic rule of composition is the rule of thirds
    more about composition here

18. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Hey Uni,

The best is in my opinion the 2nd one.

Primarily because of the background. The subject fills the frame nicely and the background is nice and blurred.

The ones of the dog in the garden are ok, however they would benefit from being shot lower down at eye level with the dog, the fence isnt a nice background and sort of detracts from the overall image appeal and the dogs feet are clipped off in a couple of them.

The action one of the dog is decent and has great potential, but I think it would be better shot right down as low as you can get.

Hope thats of some help! Of course these are just my amateur opinion

19. stonedsurd

20. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Love that first shot 'On the ramp'. Great work

I've been away from photography for a while because of moving house. Il start being more active in the next few weeks

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk