1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[PHOTO] Purple flower macro using 50mm F/1.8

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Pygo, 2 Aug 2006.

1. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

In the photo below, I used the 50mm F/1.8 turned around backrwards. I beleive I stopped it down to around F5 or so, then pressed the focal preview (duno the real name) button and took the lens off.

[​IMG]

What are your thoughts?

2. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Quite funky, but it makes me feel there's something wrong with my eyes when I try to focus in the middle... :D

3. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Quite nice, but as airchie says, the OOF centre is odd. Never tried doing the step-down and remove thing on my lenses. Bit scared, tbh.

Oh:
    DOF Button. Or Depth-Of-Field Preview. :)

For others interested in what we're on about: Depth-of-Field (DOF) Preview

4. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Thanks.
    And very good example or what DOF is.

I did try a shot focused on the Stamen, but the rest of the flower came out quite blury.
    I also tried combining the shots, but they where too far off (fair amount of wind that day.)

I also considered stopping the lens down a bunch more, but I already had the ISO up fairly high, and using flash with the lens off has light spilling in the sides of the lens (since I didn't have it on the body.)

And Hwulux, I'm either brave or stupid - there where little bits of misty-rain in teh air from a fountain near by. Though, I only took shots when the wind was blowing the other way :worried:

EDIT: Looks like I actually shot that pic at ISO 100. Maybe I'll retake it again next time its sunny outside. I was sure I upped it to around ISO 800.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2006
  5. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Remember the golden rule of the thirds. ;)

6. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

screw the rules. learn them, then break em.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's nice, but the lack of focus does my eyes in.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Interesting, I've never considered turning my lenses around. It really is true that you learn something new every day.

As far as the picture, it's not too bad. As with everyone else, the lack of focus in the center is a little unsettling. With only the petal in focus, there's really nothing interesting to act as a center of interest. The area in the bottom left is also a bit distracting; my eye kept wandering over to that corner.

-monkey

9. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Thanks.
    I really like the depth of field in the photo, but really want the stemans in focus. If it is still light out when I go home, I'll give it another go.

10. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

when you say you 'took the lens off' did you really mean you took the lens off and then took the shot? body only?

11. Fod

you reverse the lense. typically this is done with another lense mounted, so that you can rig up some kind of male-male filter thread adapter, but i dunno how he managed it here.

lense reversing:
    http://www.usefilm.com/photo_forum/6/4475/

12. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

Actually, I only used the 50mm F/1.8 as adding more glass will lower the quality and darken the light by at least a stop or so.

I had to hand hold both the camera and the lens. I held the lens very close to the body swapped around backwards. Another method that I have used is to just pull the lens away from the body. The later allows a lot more light into the camera without passing through the lens.

I have tried taking a picture with no lens, and as expected I got a nice white picture :D

Its not too sunny now, but that may just be clouds passing on by.

13. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

ah icic.. that technique was new to me, may have t try it sometime

14. Fod

get yourself a spare body cap, and experiment with pinhole photography ;)

15. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

J-Pepper - Be VERY careful doing so. The 300D (digital rebel) seems FAR less prone to dust than several other cameras (such as the 30D). My friends 30D has some dust in it already, and my 300D hasn't needed cleaning ni the ~2.5 years since it was new!

Fod - I'll have a try at that sometime. I tried it with some aluminum foil, and it didn't work too well (out of focus, etc.)