1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Photoshop & Illustrator GPU Acceleration

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 20 Dec 2020.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Just been asked by a friend to recommend a £100 GPU to put in his older work PC (i7 3770 IIRC) to take advantage of GPU acceleration in Adobe CC software.

Off the top of my head, I was going to suggest a used GTX 1060 or RX 580, not sure whether Adobe has a preference for team Green or Red.

Nothing new at £100 looks worth buying right now, do suggest otherwise if I have it wrong.

2. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

If we're talking specifically about Illustrator and Photoshop the GPU isn't massively important. As long as the GPU has enough VRAM to drive the number of screens it's running even the difference between something like a GTX 1050 and a Titan is very small. A 1060 of some description would be plenty and would probably still be plenty for many years to come. Premiere is the one that gains most from GPU power, Photoshop is more CPU/RAM bound.

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Thank you @fix-the-spade, that's great to know.
    I couldn't find any quantitative recommendations and how much the sort of card would make.
    Another friend has already offered his GTX 760, which may do the trick.

Agreed, if it was video editing, you'd throw money and hardware at it madly