1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop request

Discussion in 'General' started by Colonel Sanders, 20 Oct 2007.

1. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders Minimodder

I lack a copy of photoshop and/or gimp and even if I had said software, well I would be clueless as to how to use it. So my request - I would like a combination of these two images, I would like the end result to look like the gun is sitting on the bullets.

I realize the image of the gun (A Beretta 90 two) is at a pathetically low resolution but it's the only pic of it I have. If posible to make the look the bullets look more to scale that would be great, but the I am not very worried about realism. As for resolution of the final image - I realize it will probbably be quite low, and that is perfectly fine. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I've done three different versions, tell me what you think. The first has got both images at 100% solid, the second has the gun at 94% which lets some of the bullets get soon through it, to achieve an effect similar to a reflection. The third has the bullets mixed 50/50 with a black backround and the gun dimmed down to 90% to suit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I saved the quality at maximum on all of them, let us know if you want smaller file sizes - the quality won't be significantly reduced until you go to like ~half kb size or lower. And let me know if you want something brighter or lighter or darker etc, each version is acheived with a quick adjustment :)

3. Colonel Sanders

Thanks a lot for those images, they will work prefectly, and I don't see any need for any adjustments. :)

4. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I didn't know the M92 came with those grips. Is that a standard issue police version?

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Let me guess, your new avatar pic? :eyebrow:

6. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

IMO there needs to be a shadow from the gun onto the background, to make it a tad more ralistic. Nothing wrong with what you've done, I'd just add a bit of a shadow to give the depth that an item sitting on a surface would.

If you want Col. I can have a quick bash at it to see if I can get the whole shade thing going on...

By no means take this as a slur against your work mate, its just one of my little gripes about images. If they are going to be used, and their inspiration is based on real items, then it needs to look real!

Joe

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

If it is, he's getting Relix'd.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

+1

9. Colonel Sanders

I have not had any intention of seeting my avatar to this image. . .

m0o0oeh - I would love to see what you can do to make this more realistic. I do wish I had a higher resolution image of the gun. I have found a bit higher resolution image, but the positioning is a bit more boring. http://www.weekendhobby.com/gun/webboard/picture\57255017180.jpg

About the grips - they are standard. The pistol. a Beretta 90Two is a next generation of the 92/96 - overall its look is quite different, the second picture shows this off better. The lines on the gun are far more curved than the older 92/96 model.

10. mvagusta

i tried with the 2d gun pic, but it is boring, too lame i think so i didn't bother saving it.
    I like the drop shadow idea! I don't normally do this stuff so i didn't think of it before, here it is with the backround at 75% strength which i think looks best, and the drop shadow works nicely i think! thanx mooeh :thumb:

[​IMG]

btw, all the pics can be seen at full res if you right click them, go to properties and copy the photobucket url in a new explorer window.

11. Nexxo

Here you are:

[​IMG]

Gun image rotated and resized, some feathering, blur shadow added, colour tweaking to bring in line with the ambient yellow light that would be created by the bullets. Background contrast muted to make gun stand out a bit.

12. mvagusta

Nice nexxo :thumb: I had a ply with the gun image, and i can get it to look similar to yours, but not as nice. The best i got was increasing contrast a little, increasing brightness more, and sliding highlights all the way to yellow.

So what did you do to the gun, 'color tweaking' wise?

and stupid me, i asssumed the forum automatically resized the pic, as when you click on it it's larger but stil not ful res - it's photbucket that resize the pics so copying the link into a new explorer doesn't help :duh:

13. Colonel Sanders

Nexxo, that image does look quite amazing.

14. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I see Nexxo found a good excuse to play with his new space navigator :D

15. mvagusta

So nexxo, what did you do to the gun? I'm not sure about what you mean by "feathering" and what "color tweaks" did you do to the gun?

16. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

try pressing (in photoshop) ctrl+u or ctrl+l and you'll get some windows that let you change colours and other special things.

Feathering the edges just makes the image smoother and look like it is part of the surroundings a bit better.

17. Nexxo

You're welcome. Unfortunately I could not scale the bullets as that image is too small relative to the gun image, and it doesn't tile...

@mvagusta: will. is right. Paint.net does not have feathering by default, but you can download it as a 3rd party plug-in. As will. says, feathering smooths the edges of the gun a bit so it doesn't obviously look like a cut-out and blends with the background layer better.

I also used Curves to yellow the hue of gun image a bit (upped the red and green a little bit; suppressed the blue a bit). This is because the light reflected by the bullets would be mainly yellow. If I recall I also did a slight bit of glow distortion to the gun to bring it in line with the "blingy" quality of the light of the bullets.

18. Colonel Sanders

I did kinda notice that, I do have two other images in which I think the bullets look a little smaller, unfortunately I was out of town and unable to upload these pictures until today. If you would like to try with one of these pictures (I recommend the first- lighting in the second looks a bit dull and boring) I would love to see what you can do.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. mvagusta

is it too much of, the man with the golden gunish?
    [​IMG]

hrrmmm, it may be, i think i've watched too much james bond over the years, here's a more silvery version:
    [​IMG]
    and a really silver one:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 30 Nov 2007
  20. Nexxo

Here ya go:

[​IMG]

Tags: