1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows PHP problem (possibly config)

Discussion in 'Software' started by eaterofpies, 8 Jun 2003.

1. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

its taken me about 2 weeks but ive got php apache and mysql installed and i thought it was all ok until i found this problem

if i stick this in the address bar
    www.eaterofpies.co.uk/bob.php?page=wibble
    then according to my mate $page should now contain wibble but $page isnt even set

any ideas?

EDIT if i request a page with phpinfo() in like this
    phpinfo.php?bob=wibble

under the variables section i get
    _REQUEST["bob"] wibble
    _GET["bob"] wibble

so i think its working . . . just not on my page

Last edited: 8 Jun 2003
  2. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

Congratulations, you've just stumbled over a fundamental concept of secure PHP programming ;)

When using 'file.php?foo=bar' $foo did used to be set to bar in the script file.php.

However in one of the (relatively) recent PHP releases, register globals is set to off by default (in the file php.ini).

This means that you have to refer to your variables using either $_GET["foo"] (if $foo is appended to the URL string) or $_POST["foo"] (if $foo was passed in through a form submitted using the POST method).

You can get it to work the way you want by setting register globals to on in php.ini, but this is strongly discouraged.

For example if you were passing variables in using the form/POST method, they could be over ridden without too much effort (if register globals was on) by someone passing malicious values in through the URL string using the same variable names.

:)

3. eaterofpies

eaterofpies What's a Dremel?

cheers for telling me why it wont work and im damn glad i dont need to reinstall / compile everything again. i can actually try the get thing yet cos i decided to work on the case that my server was in :hehe: decided it was time my flightcase pc type thing had a switch on the outside and a rj45 port as i was fed up with it being open

4. RTT

RTT #parp

one thing, don't bother with using the ""s in $_POST["variable"];

eg -
    echo "$_POST["variable"]";

$_POST[variable] will do fine, and won't confuse php with the extra ""s...

if that makes sense :p many times people post php problems and it's down to the extra ""/'' usage

5. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

i disagree, register globals has been incredibly useful to me, and if your careful u can take steps in your code to make sure it isnt maltreated, i.e. in all of my scripts, all the user would get by messin with them is a script which wont work!

6. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

lol, then you're not really disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with most of the PHP community.

In addition to that, programmers don't necessarily have access to their .ini file to turn it back on.

Tags: