1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Picking a shirt and shoes

Discussion in 'General' started by murraynt, 14 Aug 2012.

1. GMC

GMC Minimodder

go for broke with brown and black shoes

If brown shoes or those above then wear a brown leather belt too. - I hate the sight of people wearing suits without a belt.

Hard to really assess what colour you are talking about but collar stiffeners are a must, - I also tend to go with a tie slide and nice cufflinks should go without saying. Could look at a pastel yellow or almost white cream shirt - make the material and the accessories the real factor rather than the colour.

Make sure that your watch ties in with cufflinks, tieslide and belt too. It's the little things like that which add up.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

A belt is a must.

I will have a picture of the dress tonight so I buy a tie judging from that.

Will stiffeners like this be ok?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pairs-Premi...30TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345037052&sr=8-1

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Sorry, but collar stiffeners really aren't a must... a must is properly ironing a shirt. If you iron and starch it properly, you won't need stiffeners.

4. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I've not picked up an iron in 8 years.

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Did you get married 8 years ago then?

6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I'm not sure tbh. I'll be buying a new one so I'll keep an eye out for one with stiffeners. :)

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Only 4 months ago actually. I hang stuff properly when drying, i don't need to iron then.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

If my mother ever read that she'd come over to your house and beat you with a rolling pin.

10. bodkin

bodkin Overheating

Il try that one with the CSgt next time I see him. Suspect it will not work!

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Can I use it after her?

I hope you're not being serious about the hanging thing....

12. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

I had the same problem when I bought a grey suit a few months back. I usually wear black shoes but brown is fine too. Try image searching "grey suit" and seeing what combinations look best.

13. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Now that's a suit! :blush:

Would these kind of shoes be too light?
    http://www.riverisland.com/Online/men/shoes--boots/formal-shoes/tan-point-brogues--258104

Here are some more.
    http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/st...categoryId=&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[207294|207282]&noOfRefinements=1
    http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/st...categoryId=&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[207294|207282]&noOfRefinements=1

Thanks for all the help so far guys. It's brilliant.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I would also go with brown shoes, brown and grey just work really well together (in my opinion)

Out of those I would go with the 3rd pair :)

15. GMC

GMC Minimodder

Just fine. :D

For your other post about shoes, judge by how a belt that colour would look. Not a fan of tan coloured leather myself but it can work.

For others that have replied since my comment on stiffeners, I meant that stiffeners are a must for shirts that take them as they typically have soft collars. Hate it when people skip them because they lost one in the wash...

16. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

Personally I would say that an occasion like this deserves black shoes. Brown would be good for work, going to lunch, a meeting and so on but I think they are not formal enough. Also the shoes shouldn’t be very long and pointy with turned up ends like some kind of jester boot or fat and wide looking like they were designed for a yeti.

I also agree with a white shirt. Once again blue, green and any other colour apart from black (which with the teal tie would make you look like a cab driver or Nigerian business man with a once in a life time deal) would be good for a less form occasion but something like this deserves a nice crisp white shirt. Talking of ironing, take it to a dry cleaners. Mine charge me about £1.50 to clean and iron a shirt better then I can and I have been using an iron for over 20 years! I hate seeing people with shirts with those tram line creases when they are fresh from the box. It makes them look like they normally wear a vest!

Finally, notice above how the tie and pocket square don’t have the same pattern. A pocket square should be a counter point. ie it should contain colours that match the shirt and tie.

Anyway have fun and let us see the final result!

PS, if you do decide to go for brown shoes, i prefer the last 2 of your selection above. And one more thing, check out tk max for ties and shirts. I got some amazing bargins there.Also duchamp have a outlet store which has some lovely ties, shirts and pocket square. They also do some nice cufflinks.

Last edited: 15 Aug 2012
  17. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Was going to add advice but there seems plenty of decent advise already. Hmm *wanders off*

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Mine was best, despite what others may think.

:worried:

19. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I smell a witch hunt.
    Yes I am serious, although on the rare occasion I have to get suited and booted, my stuff is clean and ironed, my shoes are polished. And yes I can iron, used to do it day in, day out when I was in hotel management. Now I'm in the IT business wearing polo shirts ironing has gone out the window. Weekend attire is generally t shirt and jeans or casual shirt and jeans.

Please don't set your mums on me.

20. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

At least it's not like the suits going in the washing machine :D.

I personally like my dark purple dress shirt with my black suit.