1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PicoCube [FINISHED!!]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Neji, 25 Apr 2007.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

It came out nice. It's a pity you couldn't get the CD to work, But It doesn't look like you would need it anyway.
    If you get some free time, a HD indicator led would look neat in the controller port holes.

2. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Yup, that is planned for the next long holiday :)

3. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

excellent work mate! good to see you got round to finishing the mod!

I have finally taken apart my cube and doing a little examination myself of what I can do with the case. (currently, a make up box for my niece is looking most likely...she likes the flipping lid...)

How does the pico itself run? I was thinking of using mine as a small HTPC, just some basic film playing, maybe strap an external dvd drive and speakers to it etc.

again, good work!

4. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Cool. I wouldn't have much faith in the ability of the board to put out any decent video on Linux without some serious hair pulling. XP might be your best bet, however reviews I've seen haven'T been to pleased with video performance. (Better) Drivers are coming out for Linux so things may change.

5. Stonewall78

Stonewall78 What's a Dremel?

Ok cough up some pics of what the rear panel looks like now :p

6. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I must say that I love it :thumb:

Very clean, simple and elegant.

MGT

7. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Have you posted a pic which shows the back side of the completed cube? I'd like to see how the back ports come out.

Nice and clean project! :thumb:

8. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

I'll post those pics as soon as I can. Rear panel looks OK.

9. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Here are a couple of pics of the rear and insides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

You did a good job of fitting all that in there. You may want to pick yourself up some cable sleeving to fix up those cables a bit.

11. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean but sleeving the Pico-PSU wires was something I really didn't have the confidence to do.

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Perhaps just tidying em up with some zip ties would do the trick. Add some of those adhesive cable tie mounts and your all set.

13. ducktapen'zipties

ducktapen'zipties What's a Dremel?

Hey man VERY NICE work!!! :rock::rock::rock:

I am planing to build one of these here in the states. Using a black Gamecube.

I had a couple questions for you...

What bluetooth card or dongle are you running? I am planing to running a wifi card/dongle and a bluetooth card/dongle internal.

How did the controller port mod work out for you? I am thinking of wiring up a keyboard for it by cutting the CG controller wire at the circuit board and then wiring/soldering it to the circuit board of the keyboard....ne thoughts?

What Psu are you running?

Ne help would be greatly appreciated:D:D:D

14. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

I'm using one of those tiny tiny bluetooth dongles. I originally had it set up and paired with the keyboard and mouse but the mouse was a little iffy on connecting at boot so now I use the apple keyboard with the little USB bluetooth dongle, and the Microsoft mouse with the dongle it came with. Both work fine after some setup.

I didn't bother with the controller port as I went for a completely wireless setup. I found it a real pain to mod the USB cable what with all the shielding and stuff, it was very fiddly. I think that might say more about my cruddy soldering skills. YMMV. I'd love to see you do it.

I'm using the PicoPSU 120W

15. cody

cody What's a Dremel?

Hi Neji

Would you mind if you can repost the picture?
    cause I am trying to make one too. it looks so nice from what you made.
    It will be appreciated.
    Thanks alot

16. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Hi cody. I'm afraid I no longer have those pics of the early stages. I hastily got rid of my village photos account, forgetting that I had the pictures on this worklog hosted there. If you need any specific pictures I can take new ones. Just PM me with anything you need to know and I'll be glad to help you out.

17. trucha

trucha What's a Dremel?

nice lookin gamecube man. finally i see a gc that doesnt make me want to dropkick it out the door

18. russet_wolf

russet_wolf Newbie Modder

Awesome project Neji!

I recently decided to make use of my old GameCube since I never used it and couldn't sell it for more than $15. I used the melted ball-point pen trick to get the case open and ordered all my parts for the build yesterday.

I decided to go with the Beagleboard from Texas Instruments rather than a Pico-ITX board due to the price and greater availability. Plus it's smaller and uses an SD card rather than a hard drive.

Wish me luck, I've started a project log here.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2010
  19. mrp00sy

mrp00sy What's a Dremel?

Hey Neji, I saw this, then I dug out my old GC and I really really really want to do something similar. But I'm not really that much of a DIY/modding kind of person so I don't really know how I would go about all this. Can you post some detailed instructions on how to do this if you have the time? Also, since there are pico motherboards, do they have appropriately sized PCI cards? Because I would want wifi in it if possible. Thanks

20. Tobyhow

Tobyhow What's a Dremel?

Hi Neji!

First of all I would like to say thanks, for the great GC mod. It did inspired me to do my own. how did u make place in the bottom. It looks like it's smooth and flat in your.

A big thanks to you :)