1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinky2 | Update 04/25 | Text Update

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by greywolf, 23 Oct 2004.

?

What color for the Fan Guards? Help me Decide!

Poll closed 1 Dec 2004.
  1. [b]Shiny[/b]

54.1%
  2. White

11.5%
  3. Black

34.4%
  1. flow

flow What's a Dremel?

You gotta love the pinky 2 badge. Um, as for the fan guard, i also say shiny, will help in keeping with the theme. Great work so far! :thumb:

2. greywolf

greywolf What's a Dremel?

Yet another shiny vote and yes it is good.
    Hopefully I can attach it with some hot glue, but I may attach it to the case itself...still thinking about it.

Thanks alot. Secret is I never intended to put the type there (had other places in mind), but that does seem to work. Another vote for shiny!

Thanks, I can't wait to see it lit-up...but I will wait of course.

Yea, Pinky2girl thought so as well, it's all good.

I'm leaning towards shiny myself, but need to hear other opinions. My such a demanding crowd :D. That's not a bad suggestion perhaps I will whip up a side by side. And no...making three grills was NOT intentional.

Thanks again for your comments and opinions! Anyone else have an opinion to share? I'll work on the side by side, pixs soon.

3. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

wow, awesome job with the bear. well, actually, awesome job with the whole case :rock:. i vote for shiny as well :thumb:

4. TheDon

TheDon What's a Dremel?

I am usally the voice to disagree. I think you should paint it off. If the tebbybear badge is going to be there then you are not going to want to distract from the bear so the grill should be in the background. I would leave the grill as is. Light up the teddy and be statisfied with a well done mod that doesn't look over powering.

5. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

Did i already told you this mod is so damn sweet? exelent precision into each detail. like the grills, and the way everything is mounted. Keep on going. :rock:

6. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Nice badge, good ideas and exact work on details. :clap: lookin´ forward to finish :thumb:

7. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

the computer is lookin nice- your daughter will be happy!

I'm not sure if this was asked already, but where did you get that plexi? I quickly glanced through the thread and didnt see anything. I'm looking for some green UV plexi for my project, but I cant find anywhere adequatley priced.

[EDIT] My girlfriend was just looking at the thread with me and saw the bear- she's had the same one her entire life as well, ironically also named Pinky. Weird, very weird.[/EDIT]

Last edited: 24 Nov 2004
  8. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

I have oneee question for you, where did you pick up that perf aluminum? ive been looking everywhere for some :S

9. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Hey Greywolf,
    If you are looking for a way to light this mean machine i have the answer. So i ordered a pair "Hellfire" Red CCFLs and i power them up and they are PINK!!!! Bad for me great, for this project. If you want them you can have them for 5 bucks and i will pay for shipping. I just want them out of my sight. I live in ohio so i could get them there fast. The first thing i thought when i powerd them up was this project. If you want pics, my server went all crazy and i cant ftp anything so i will use photobucket. Let me know.

10. greywolf

Wow, that's a great offer! Deal me in! I don't have anything yet and have been looking at EL wire...and not making-up my mind. There are very few "pink" lighting options...it took me months to find pink LEDs. So, YES, I would like to take them off your hands! No need for photo's.

What a kick, that after the disappointment, you thought of Pinky2!

That's an easy one :), McMaster, they have a huge selection at fair prices and shipping was reasonable. BTW, I found out about them by asking on someone else's log about the LED tipped switches. Be prepared to waste a couple of hours happily perusing their site...I did.

Here's hoping that the thing will even boot when I'm done, I'll be happy then...and so will she!

Got the plexi at a local shop, that is a national (US) chain. Piedmont Plastics. But that won't help you, because their selection is limited, absolutely nothing in the UV colors. Try these guys Delvie, I haven't used them, but someone else on Bit-Tech has.

Great story about the GF! I bet it's really not all that uncommon a pink teddy bears for little girls. Does she still have it?

I'm shooting to be finished very soon. Pinky2girl has been very patient. I'm just not willing (I've found) to cut any corners "just" to get it done. I'm already excited about my next two planned mods...and can't wait to get started on them.

Thanks so much _ferry_ after seeing your case, that's a high compliment! Awesome job yourself!

Well TheDon, I am going to "paint it off" and post the results, just haven't had the time this week (3 day week...5 days of work). I agree totally about distracting from the teddy bear, that is my number 1 concern. And yes I want to push the theme to the limit (Pink & Teddy) in a tasteful way.

Thanks, Zephr! Somehow I thought shiny would rule!

Thanks for all the great responses! This is planned to be a big push, long weekend for the project, look for a big update Monday or so!

11. PhatMatt

PhatMatt What's a Dremel?

Sure does, the teddy bear sits in my truck so i have something of hers with me at all times. :)

I really cant wait for the next update, aside from the fact that the computer is pink and has a teddybear, the design is amazing. I love the grill you made with the aluminum. Great work, you shiny, shiny man.

12. greywolf

UPDATE 11/25- the "paint-off"

As promised, here is the comparison for the three possible colors for the fan guards. I tried to make as close to the final look as possible, with as little effort as possible. :)

I'll see about adding a poll, so you don't have to post to express your opinion...but feel free to elaborate if so moved. Now that I've seen the colors in the flesh...they all look pretty good...this has made it harder to decide...darn.

[​IMG]
    Up until this point, the leading contender Shiny!

[​IMG]
    Not looking to shabby either, here's White!

[​IMG]
    Last but certainly NOT least is Black, the new Pink!

Vote in the poll or post your choice, help me decide! They are all looking darn good right now!

Thanks to Constructacon for suggesting the paint-off, and to TheDon for supporting the idea!

13. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

Black...definitely black...

14. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Hmmm....

I almost like white, it looks a bit more reflective. Shiny looks good, but I have an irresistable urge to suggest black.

I don't really know, although I'd probably go with shiny if I saw the choices in person.

15. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Arrrgggghhhh! I'm sorry I made the suggestion now. I'm not so sure now. They all look so good. The white turned out much better than expected. All 3 colours could do the job with ease.

I would suggest either keep the shiny for thematic consistency or the white as it's the least obtrusive. :idea:Your logo is transperant with black writing on the back so the black could be ruled out straight away unless you had some other idea for making the writing visible on your logo in front of black mesh.

16. Lost.Soul

Lost.Soul What's a Dremel?

Black of course... :rolleyes:

But white looks sweeter :eyebrow:

17. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

greywolf: It's usually hard to find a good red ccfl, most of them turn out more pink then red. If those CCFL's tm36usa is offering you aren't the right pink, maybe try something like this.

18. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Oh they are diffinitaly pink. If they were off red i would use them but they are pink as pink can be. Im at an relitives house so i dont have access to my email greywolf so i will email you when i get home. OH yeah and BLACK all the way

19. BenJ

BenJ What's a Dremel?

Well, while I like the black and the contrast it presents, I have to think about who this case is being built for.

So with that in mind I am going to say shiny.

Regards
    BenJ

20. pinky2girl

pinky2girl What's a Dremel?

Shiny looks the best to me, and if not that white. I don't like the black.