1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pirated Vista is useless, says Microsoft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 20 Nov 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Even if it was it uswless it wouldnt be long before a un expiring copy was pirated

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Well at least Microsoft is trying to prevent pirates, now they won't have an excuse to have such ridiculously high prices!

4. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Yes they do, to "drive" everyone into the OSS 'market' :D

5. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

So basically they're saying

"If you pirate this, Windows will break itself eventually"
    So uhm; how is this so different from how Windows bricks itself on un-pirated copies?

6. Buzzons

Buzzons Active Member

I think they are saying, they can find out what version your running (if its _not_ the RTM then it will have a diff build version) and as such, they can easily brick it from ANY update they give out, be it a security one etc, as NO ONE should be running it, so they could enter

if (version = x)
    {
    remove all key windows files;
    }
    else install update;

7. aggies11

aggies11 New Member

If your Microsoft, and you know your software is/will be pirated, with little you can actually do about it, what would you do?

A FUD campaign makes the most sense. If you can't actually stop people from using it, the next best thing is to try and stop them from *wanting* to use it.

They can't very well say "Yeah, the 'Vista Pirate Edition'® is actually the best value of all. It works perfectly and is free!"

So whether all this is true, or lies, they'd still be saying the exact same thing.

Aggies

8. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

:hehe: Made me chuckle... Anybody agree?

-ed out

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:hehe: - or maybe some hackers just want an early start on writing viruses & worms :worried:

BWAH HAH HAH :rock: :rock:

I (partly) agree with Aggies about this being a FUD campaign - This is after all the same company that claimed you couldn't remove IE from 98.

10. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

...Vista is useless, says Microsoft

Duh!

No need for it until I have DX10 everything anyway, and can anyone say MSDN.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i hope someone comes out a makes a OS that pwnz windows, linux is no match because there is no Direct X support.

12. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

If I've ever read a snippet more deserving of Slashdot's "fud" tag, I sure don't remember it.

Not really bothered tbh. If it is just FUD (which I think very likely), then Vista's been cracked already. If not, it will be within days of it hitting the shelves, if not earlier. In any case, I'll be sticking with OS X as my main OS for quite a while, with XP hanging around on a separate machine for the odd game. Until Vista's security has been proven and games are requiring DirectX 10, I have very little incentive to move over. Transparent title bars aren't worth that much to me.

13. Tyinsar

There have been several attempts but, since Direct X is an MS product, it's unlikely to ever be a part of another OS.

BTW: Linux "pwnz windows" in many ways but - sadly - games is not one of them :waah: (thus only one of my 4 operational PCs runs Linux)

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Vista supports OpenGL natively, and linux supports OpenGL, so perhaps linux capable games are in the not too distant future after all :D

15. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Linux supports OpenGL, but I still think game coders will be lazy and just go DirectX

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

UT2004 works natively on linux.....

i have an idea.... in order to make MS less monopolistic.... the EU should make MS open DX10 to everyone to use on their OS.....:p

17. Tyinsar

:eeek: :rock: :D wouldn't that cause some kicking & screaming from the boys & girls @ MS! :hehe:
    I LOVE the idea. :thumb:

18. TheColdLord

TheColdLord New Member

Vista cracked.....AHAHAHAAA...and the ppl @ MS boasted that they have the best security on the whole planet...etc....no no, no A\V req....it cannot be hacked....give me a break.....Ms should put a whole into the vista security issue....Believe it or not MS....VISTA IS CRACKED.....it is somewhat sad, seing that it is the next gen os....

19. speedfreek

speedfreek New Member

Hot damn, I cant wait for them to do something like that. :D

20. orb

orb satisfying.

Unless you're somewhere I'm not, Vista has not been cracked, the only thing what has been released is a RTM copy of Vista, with a RC key what won't activate it, theres a real ghetto activation fix, but thats about it, vista hacked? before it's even fully released? give me a break.

Tags: Add Tags