1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pixar's next film: Cars

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 11 Nov 2004.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

If you haven't seen this trailer yet, check it out:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/cars/

Be warned - you will need iTunes 4.7 if you want to download the "SUV" size. All the other just use QT.

Looks pretty cool - I love the agressive looks on the cars as they're racing round the oval. And the pit crew is brilliant. I guess it's going to be a cross between Toy Story and Days of Thunder! (only with less Tom Cruise) ;)

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

hmm - i have to say that this isn't filling me with as much anticipation as the other pixar films - looks like it'll be too american. i mean - NASCAR?! and southern-hick as a main character? plus it looks rather more childish than the others (which have many levels, before anyone questions that).

3. Spitfire

Spitfire What's a Dremel?

I thought Pixar aren't doing movies with Disney anymore.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It would seem that it's been disproved then. :p

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Last I heard, Pixar were trying to buy Disney! :eeek:

6. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Rubbish

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was gonna say! Its also sad that to get any cartoon released in the west it has to be endorsed by Disney.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

this looks... really quite lame.

i've loved Pixar's movies (except A Bug's Life, which was not up to the same standard as the rest), so this looks like a great disappointment... :(

9. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Not true: Spirit, Shrek/2, Sinbad, Shark Tale, Chicken Run, Joseph King of Dreams, El Dorado, The Prince of Egypt, and Antz were all produced by Dreamworks and are all excellent cartoons - better than Disney IMHO. Especially since two of those listed are story's from the bible - something Disney doesn't do.

10. quack

quack Minimodder

Pixar were held to a 5 picture deal with Disney, which they completed. Now I think they're just making movies with them because it's very profitable. Or something like that anyway. :)

11. Bentos

Bentos What's a Dremel?

really?

Sinbad, Shark Tale, Joseph King of Dreams, El Dorado, The Prince of Egypt, and Antz all blew hard (imho) despite being made by dreamworks. plus some are just bad imatations (shark tale, antz)

tis all about miramax and pioneer for cartoons in the west for me (anime of course). no more disney lies for me

anyways, cars doesnt look like a great flic

12. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Disney doesn't have much of a hand in it, Pixar make about 99% of the film, Disney simply distribute them. The worry was that Pixar we're getting big enough to cut Disney out the middle.

13. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

Isnt Pixar owned by Steve Jobs or something like that. I remember seeing that on TV along time ago thinking holy cow ehe. I watched the cars preview and dont see myself going to see it, however I can see a younger crowd getting into the whole speedracer slash racecar theme.

14. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Cars is the last film to be made by Pixar under the current Disney/Pixar contract. Pixar were waiting for The Incredibles release before committing to a new (if any) contract, as another major success, (which it is, breaking Finding Nemo's weekend record) would obviously give them a lot more bargaining chips.

If Disney and Pixar cannot agree on a new contract, Disney walks away with full sequel and character rights with Pixar only getting a pathetic 8% (IIRC) royalty. So expect many sub-par sequels (like most Disney sequels).

It may look like a good idea for Pixar to get a different distributor (resulting in a larger cut of the profits) but they would loose all of Disney's massive marketing potential.

It will be interesting to see which way Pixar choose.

15. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

Unfortunately Disney are still on the downturn, they don't have the brunt force they used to have, kids don't want Disneyworld no more, they want to hack the heads off people in video games.

16. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

True, things aren't looking very good for Disney, with it's traditional animation department virtually non-existent and the terrible state of EuroDisney, it will be interesting to see it's condition in 5 years time.

Maybe Hong Kong Disneyland will help it along?

17. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

As further confirmed by this: 'Toy Story 3' in the works.

18. KingofHearts

KingofHearts What's a Dremel?

19. -A-

-A- What's a Dremel?

Yhe but maybe this film is supposed to be aimed at kids! The other Pixar films are predominantly aimed at kids but appeal to the larger market! Maybe they just want to produce a film that appeals to kids! They have the money to do whatever they want so why not?

-A-

20. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I don't think you can judge that this will be too 'kiddified' just on this trailer. I can't see that this film wouldn't be typical Pixar, with layered meanings and a plot that that will appeal to adults and kids. I have read some more on what the film is about, and it's not just 'Nascar' oval racing from what I can gather.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news04/041103f.php

So the teaser is just that. Shows you some of the cast but nothing of the plot. It'll be a typical Pixar buddy movie I guess, as it's what they're good at. Also, John Lasseter (Pixar co-founder) will be directing it. He did a pretty good job with Toy Story 2...