1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Planescape: Torment released on GOG

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 29 Sep 2010.

1. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

One of the best games of all time. You should castrate yourself with a cinder block sooner than you should pass this up.

Do you mind justifying that opinion? While its combat is a bit mediocre next to other games (including Infinity Engine games), it gets its dialogue, characters, world-building and truly open-ended choices with real consequences all right. I guess you can criticise it in places for being more of a novel than a game, at times, but there's very little about it that it does poorly from an RPG perspective. I mean, unless your ideal "RPG" is Diablo. In which case your opinion is kind of invalid.

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Take a look at his posting history - Full of abusive replies and flamebait comments. Stinks of troll.
    His opinion may or may not be valid (PST does have its share of flaws and isn't everyone's cup of tea, after all), but he does invalidate it with his behaviour in my view at least.

The 'nostalgia is a blinder' viewpoint has been discussed thoroughly on these forums in the past (hell, there was even an excellent article published on the topic by Joe), but I stand by the opinion that just because it's easy to be blinded by nostalgia doesn't mean that appreciation of classic games or veneration of them above modern games is always because of rose-tinted glasses or ignoring the flaws of old games.
    Some of us regarded PST as a masterpiece when it was released and see little reason to change that opinion just because of the passage of time or changing technology.

I agree completely, and I've commented to that effect on other GOG-related threads here. There's just far too much bargain-bin crap that the publishers clearly handed to GOG as a "Well these never made money anyway, might as well try to get something out of them" move.

Thankfully though, as you say, they do have some great classics too and things have been picking up lately.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2010
  3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Agreed. I didn't hear anything about the game when I played it, picking it up for £1 along with a title called Soulsword on a whim. I hated it at first, as the opening levels are incredibly badly designed, but quickly realised it was a classic.

4. barney magru

barney magru What's a Dremel?

Stunning game, one of those that really give you hope that this industry isn't just filled with corporate shills looking to franchise away any semblance of originality in their games..

Bought it again recently on amazon when re-released on dvd (something like £10.99). Well worth if for the journey you're taken on, the characters you meet and some of the most original and thigh-slappingly stupendous dialogue you will ever come across in a game..

Tags: Add Tags