1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Planning on i3 build, suggestions required

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by terrorbyt, 19 Apr 2012.

1. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Glad I'm not the only one, thought I was being stupid. Waiting for the i3 to come into stock on Amazon (25th apparently) then will purchase all the stuff. Thanks for the help, will post pictures :D

2. Tigernos

Tigernos Resident Roman Soldier

Glad I could be of service. Check that the i3 you want isn't cheaper on scans website, and they also do "scansure" its like a mini insurance thing, of you break something you buy from them when you are building it, they replace it (inside 28 days)

Other than that I look forward to the pics!

3. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

is scansure free of charge? The i3 2120 (I hope that's the right one) is £91.38 on Scan so only £1.39 difference. I'll purchase from scan for scansure if it's free

4. Tigernos

Scansure isn't free, it's a couple of quid. Not much. But if you do break something then it's a free replacement. Depends how confident you are at building a pc :)

5. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

It doesn't say anywhere how much it costs, do you know how much it would cost to get it for the i3?

6. Tigernos

Just hit purchase and it will show you at the checkout. Before you pay :p

7. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Could I use the SATA hard drive from my current PC in my new one? Would I have to install windows again or what? How would that work?

8. Tigernos

If I'm honest I don't know that. You could use the hard drive, as for reinstalling I don't know. I would hope that as long as you update all the drivers for the new parts then it should work. Like adding new hardware. But don't quote me.

9. Bede

Bede Minimodder

If you're using the HDD as your OS drive, then at the bare minimum you'd have to reactivate Windows (online or telephone). I'd advise doing a full reinstall though, it'd just be better all round.

10. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

I ask because I want to transfer things from the old hard drive to the new one with ease. I'm going to use the new 2tb hard drive as my OS drive and install the old one just to transfer my files. Thanks.

11. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Should be fine as long as you install windows onto the new 2tb drive, then plug in the old one and transfer the files you need.

12. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you mean you are reinstalling Windows on your new 2TB drive, and you want to transfer you stuff from the old one, then you need to do the following:

1) Ensure that SATA is set to AHCI mode with hot-plugging enabled in your BIOS/UEFI
    2) Install Windows on the new drive, leaving the old one disconnected
    3) Once you have booted into Windows, you can simply plug the old drive back in and you will be able to see the files you want to move.
    4) Format and/or unplug the old drive before rebooting.

I recommend this method over using Easy File Transfer because I like to have visibility of exactly what is being transferred where. I don't recommend booting the system with both Windows drives at the same time - it can cause problems. Hence the hot-plugging recommendation.

Let me know if you need any more detail and I'll try to answer - I've just done something similar so it's fresh in my mind.

13. Shirty

Also terrorbyt check this out. Will save you some pennies from a highly recommended supplier. If you can afford it, Scansure is ideal for your first build if your confidence is lacking, although I've never used it. Building PCs is a bit like Lego compared to a few years back!

EDIT: Apologies, the very helpful posts form Tigernos already contain this info - but I'll leave it here anyway :p One thing I will say is that Scan despatch for next day delivery using DPD, whereas Amazon uses a variety of carriers and their free delivery may or may not be next day.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2012
    terrorbyt likes this.
  14. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

wow thanks a lot for the info shirty, will let you know if I get stuck transferring the files. And yep ordered everything (except graphics card) from scan this morning and DPD are delivering everything some time tomorrow :D. The graphics card I had to order from Amazon as Scan don't have it... It's coming 1st class though so should be here Friday(ish).

Shirty likes this.
  15. Shirty

Good luck with the build - be sure to post in here if you get stuck.

Oh, and have some rep for taking advice courteously. It's a pleasure to help you.

16. terrorbyt

terrorbyt MultiModder

Everything except the card came today (apparently Amazon say it will be here tomorrow but they've yet to even dispatch it). Very impressed with how regularly Scan updated me on it's location and what time to expect the courier, also astounded by the degree of packaging, it's as if I'd ordered a bomb! Very impressed indeed.

Couldn't help but crack into the case's case and take it apart. Really want to start putting it all together now but there's no point until I get the graphics card. Just so I know, The first steps I should take is to check everything works by putting together the motherboard and connecting it to mains yes? Can I just lay the motherboard on a wooden surface while I do this? (My desk is a kitchen worktop btw made of wood).

Aha no need to give me rep for that! Thanks :)

17. Shirty

Well in actual fact since your i3 and motherboard can output graphics without a dedicated GPU there is no reason not to put this together straight away and install windows then just slot the GPU in when it arrives.

Yes you can put the motberboard on any non-conductive surface like its box or a wooden worktop. Just whatever you do don't put it on the outside of the antistatic bag it came in.

18. Tigernos

Oh? Why is that? I was considering when I build mine as using the bag, wasn't gonna power it up outside the case but what problems would it cause?

19. Shirty

The external surface of some types of antistatic bags can be conductive. Problems are rare but good practice is to use something that definitely isn't conductive!

20. Tigernos

Ah ok. I was mostly just gonna lay it on the bag while I sort out the CPU and cooler before sticking it into my case. I'll be sure to remember that in future. Thanks.