1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning your acrylic case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by linear, 25 Jan 2002.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

If you made it through that l o o o o ng article, you gotta have a couple comments....

2. Iamgoodyy

Iamgoodyy What's a Dremel?

Nice work, even though I had thought of the majority of that stuff in my Case planning, its nice to be reminded of it all again. Excellent guide, and can't wait to see the rest.

Iamgoodyy

3. Slink

Slink B7

Im not realy interested in making a clear pc, But that was a good read, thank you mate:)

4. Woody

Woody What's a Dremel?

Interesting and well written read, it's help re-enforce a few decisions i have made regarding my up coming case build. Only downer not enough pictures:)

5. Brackish

Brackish What's a Dremel?

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why BiT-Tech added linear to their staff.

Without a doubt, one of the most professionally written articles I've read on this or any other modding site. Although its intent is to aid in the building of custom (and more specifically, clear) enclosures, the emphasis on proper planning is applicable to any major case modification. It should be printed at once and added to the reference binder of both novice and veteran modders, alike.

Bravo, linear. Bravo.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ever thought of writing books lin?? You could work for anandtech lol! :D u are very thourough though! and i like reading Bit articles so the length didnt really bother me.

Anyway - good job m8 ;)

7. ramtech

ramtech What's a Dremel?

i made up my plans already for the case and will try to explane in a nutschell
    mounting the motherboard horizontal on 8mm transparent
    everything else hdd cd psu mounted underneath so i can create separate airflows ,no heating up of cpu mb graphics from psu and the rest
    also making the 8mm plate slide in on foam strip inside alu u shaped strip
    that will serve 2 things dampening vibrations to the outside and easy take out for access :)

any questions please ask :D

8. Iamgoodyy

I sense a connection between the acrylic case and the hd window mod. Give us a hint Linear, because there has to be a connection between the two on what you are planning.

Iamgoodyy

9. ramtech

ramtech What's a Dremel?

is it stil not transparant to you :cool:

10. Iamgoodyy

I take it the pun was intended.

Iamgoodyy

11. ramtech

ramtech What's a Dremel?

and in another thread i wrote that i,m not much of a writer (cause this is not my language and i work with my hands and hate paperwork)

btw no offence just kidding Iamgoodyy

12. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

Nice article linear, can't wait to see what you have planned for the practice side of your theory.

I must make a comment though about Intel/AMD, and since this is a fact you may want to add it into your article: "AMD CPUs tend to run hotter, so more careful planning of airflow and ventilation is required for AMD-based systems."

13. Makaijin

Makaijin What's a Dremel?

Reading this article reminded me of fish tanks for some reason.
    Then I thought, why not make a clear case with a built-in water resevior?

Forget project crystal, now i'm gonna start project water-tank!
    Since the ClearPC from OCS cost £140 ex VAT, I could probably buy all the arylic sheets i need and some power tools for about the same price. I even get to keep the powertools for my other modding needs :D

I think my main problem now is how to go about getting 100% leak free at the joints.

14. linear

linear Minimodder

Quite right about the cost. You can very often get your material for free if you ask at a glass shop at the right time. The basic tools are pretty inexpensive, and a half pint of solvent cement should last you a lifetime.

15. Moobie

Moobie What's a Dremel?

Linear where did you get you solvent cement from?

16. linear

linear Minimodder

I bought mine locally from a plastics shop. It's hazardous enough stuff it can't ship internationally. I think RS has some equivalent products.

Since I've joined BiT-Tech, I've sent email to most of my suppliers asking them about sourcing their products in the UK, but have had very few responses so far.

17. katma|

katma| What's a Dremel?

I've been planning, saving for, and drawing a coustum plexi case for months now, great to see someone are providing a writeup so people interested in this can make sure they don't forget something.. The fubar-factor is veeeery high with projects like this.
    Personally I've had great help from 3ds max to render 3D-models of my project, It's getting really complex so the program helped me sort out bugs in design. And, you get to see a pretty realistic image on how it's going to look..

If you do bear a little criticsism linear, I'd have to say that article could easily have been compressed to half the length without much loss. I might be very tired, but you seem to repeat a little? like with the powersupplies.. Sorry if I'm wrong.

Doh, I don't see alot of people around this article-discussion forum saying what they think would make your articles even better.. So if you don't want that, just tell me to stfu, and I will do that :D

Overall, great work, glad it exists such an article, and I'm looking forward to read the next part!

18. LaPPe

LaPPe What's a Dremel?

2nd article

When will you have the second article done - I can't wait!!!!!

19. linear

linear Minimodder

Quite soon is the answer, and I can't be too much more specific...

20. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

Very nice article, cant wait for the next one. I hope it includes amount of money and time spent on each step (hint,hint..)

peace.
    UnLoadeD

Tags: Add Tags