1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning your acrylic case

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by linear, 25 Jan 2002.

1. linear

linear Minimodder

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

well i just bought a 145W ½ sized ATX psu for £40 (so i can swap the 80mm for an ultra silent panaflo) but im having a tad of trouble getting tinted/opaque (like the pcmods windows) acrylic/lexen/perspex.

Ive emailed a US company and a UK company that was recomened on here and the uk company couldnt deliver to my side of the country :( and told me to go to: Amari Plastics or Plastics Plus (got to find where these companies are) and ive had no reply from the US one yet. Ive goto go down the big B&Q diy warehouse/store in cardiff to see if they do sheets of the stuff (probably not tinted though).

I read in another article however - if u dont make the sides EXACTLY flat then the acrylic cement wont set? so he had to use screws :( what are your thoughts?? is there any other way for getting it less *exact*? cause i dont want to fubar up some sides when i make it.

3. linear

linear Minimodder

all will be revealed in the construction techniques article, but I think that drilling and tapping edgewise into your material is substantially harder than getting the edge to be flat (hint sandpaper and sanding block).

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

i spose the more effort u put into makin it flat too - the more square and even your box will be?

anyhow, cant wait for the 2nd article :D

5. linear

linear Minimodder

IfF you have uneven edges, your cement will set fine, but you'll get gaps, and it will run out of them before it sets. I think that's what he was wrestling with. I'll show you a photo of a test piece later after I get home from work.

6. relix

relix Minimodder

linear, you're article did inspired me, but not for an acrylic case ;)

as I'm making my "computer-room" now, (actually my room filled with PC's) I want 2 uniform cases for the 386 and 486 of me, which I'm not planning to use but just for fun. Thatswhy I'll be making a wooden case, and then paint it black. I don't think it will be as hard as an acrylic case... But I hope your future articles will help me some too ;)

7. Awesome Article, as soon as my skill improves with 10$ cases I may, some day, try building a case from scratch :)

8. Double post :/

9. tonyb

tonyb What's a Dremel?

Materials

Nice article. Agree that planning is key to success and looking forward to the next article.

Any ideas where I can buy perspex/polycarbonate, preferably a national supplier as I intend to follow the articale and build a case

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

11. tonyb

tonyb What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the info. It looks like perspex is not that easy to get hold of in the UK. I've emailed a few sign makers locally to see if I have any better luck. Will post any progress.

12. wookiecrisp

wookiecrisp What's a Dremel?

This may help someone for future reference. I wrote up an article on my plexi case as well, for those that have not yet seen it.

You can find it here: Plexi Article

:)

13. tonyb

tonyb What's a Dremel?

I've managed to get some responses from local sign makers with a variety of prices but the following is the cheapest:

Sheet size is 2030 x 1525mm

3mm = £53.71 + vat
    5mm = £75.65 + vat

and they are prepared to supply part sheets, maybe even cut to size. On this basis I would expect midi tower to cost £20-£30, depending on design complexity for perspex material which I don't think is too bad.

Tony

14. davidhal

davidhal What's a Dremel?

What about static?

I've been wanting to make a clear case for a while now, but what about the static electricity buildup? How do you deal with that?

15. relix

relix Minimodder

good question idd!

16. Zorro

Zorro What's a Dremel?

Been looking at making a acrylic / perspex case for a while but have had a real problem sourcing the material.. (UK)

www.diyplastics.com

Was the only real solution I could find...
    The only problem being the cost :(

Anyone find anything better? Please?

I suppose it isn't too bad.... But I'm still looking... B&Q do some perspex but it is very thin and quite expensive, would cost a lot to make a case from it...

One thing though, has anyone thought of heating and curving the plastic? It doesn't have to be square, you can be as inventive as you wish, I would suggest a wooden jig and some resistance wire (check out Maplins for that.. I think it'll heat under electrical load..)...

Ahh well, I hope a nice cheap solution is found... :)

Z.

17. linear

linear Minimodder

Re: What about static?

There is a tendency for static to build up on the pieces, but applying a polish such as Novus #1 plastic polish does a good job of reducing the tendency to build up a charge.

18. Zorro

Zorro What's a Dremel?

One last thing, when heating the perspex / acrylic heat it just enough, too much and vapour bubbles form :(

Z.

Tags: Add Tags