1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Plasti-Kote vinyl color/dye

Discussion in 'Modding' started by webchimp, 22 Jan 2004.

1. webchimp

webchimp What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know where I can get Plasti-Kote vinyl color/dye or an equivalent in the UK? I want to turn my beige box black.

Also, what should I use for the metal parts of the case? Will car spray paint be OK? If I clean the beige paint thoroughly can I spray directly onto that or should I use an undercoat?

2. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I'm not sure where you could get the paint

Yes car spray paint is perfectly fine, as long as the metal is primed right
    I've heard good things about duplicolor and a few other car paints, But In order to get a sastifactory finish, your going need to, Sand down to bare metal, Prime with an automotive primer, and then spray with your color. then finish with a clear coat., theres a few other good Paint threads floating around, read up on them

3. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

I'm sure I've seen that Plasti-Kote stuff in B&Q.....
    I think Halfords also had some as well.....
    - Not sure whether either place had a decent range of colours though.... Just the basics and some of the textured varieties.....

4. webchimp

Anyone know where I can get vinyl dye?

With regard to the metal parts of the case, I'm not looking to get a gloss, car body like finish, just a semi gloss/matt black finish. So if I just clean the existing paint thoroughly I would have thought that a primer was unnecessary.

5. Skutbag

Skutbag What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it does ring a bell.

6. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

i belive krylon makes a spray paint designed to stick to plastic. needs no primer and is easy enough to find. it looks like all the rest of their paints, but there's a black stripe just below that cap with white lettering that says "sticks to plastic instantly!" or something like that. keep an eye out for that.

7. Boldar

Boldar Minimodder

Halfords:

It's not called Vinyl Dye tho' so you'll have to look carefully, usually near the High temp paint for exhausts.

BUT they ony do Black, Red, Blue, and a yucky Sand colour

8. webchimp

Thanks guys,

There isn't a B&Q nearby, so it looks like a trip to Halfords. Black will be fine, I just want to tidy up a scruffy beige case.

9. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I bought mine from Halfords, it's not cheap though, £9.99 for a small can. It's called vinyl paint and is usually on a shelf above all the car paint.