1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Play new MMO APB this weekend for free

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 18 Jun 2010.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It is very soon to be released, when you compare this beta to something like wow, that was incredibly well polished.

It is a big problem with MMOs, there are so many being released that just don't feel any way finished, and I don't see APB getting the massive improvement it needs to be considered a releasable game by non-MMO standards by the time it's released.

There have been several MMOs I've played that have been quite unfinished at release, but they were good games because while the content wasn't quite there (which is easy to patch in later) the core gameplay was well polished.

That's the thing a lot of MMO developers are doing wrong IMO. They're focusing on getting lots of content there rather than focusing on getting the core of the game right.

I've been playing the game for a bit, and while I don't think it's as bad as the shambles that is STO, it's still not quite up to scratch, however, I haven't got into the meat of the gameplay yet so my opinion of it could change either way.

If I compare this to Pirates of the Burning Sea, I played the beta, the content was a little sparse for PvE, but they had gotten the ship combat and player economy down. The controls were tight and it was well balanced. I could see that I could subscribe upon release and enjoy what content they did have there and by the time I was bored of that they should have released new stuff. However, with STO and to a certain extent with APB, it's too stodgy. I wouldn't find the game enjoyable while they fixed it to a playable standard.

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

It's on EA too, I got my key from Sapphire though.

Just started playing tonight...

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

ok, i have my key, let's see how it works :)

4. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

This game sucks, what you get is this:

A game that by stating to be a MMO lacks polish on such basic things as: animations, lag-free shooting and driving, repetitive missions. So basicaly the gameplay is broken.

What you DO get is VERY NICE customization. That's cool if what you like to play is dress up and pimp my car

I'd rather buy a very good non-mmo shooter like BFBC2, Shattered Horizon or COD4 than buy an mmo-shooter that lacks on the shooter side just because you get to look like a douchebag while you're TRYING to shoot down or run over people.... Don't waste your time on this one lads

5. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

Cheers Bit-Tech, got my key.
    Will report back later :D

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

And we're done! Thanks for taking part, I'm off home to watch the England match :)

7. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Woot got my KEY, now I just have to way until I get off work to give it a shot ><

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I got in the beta, but got kinda bored with it quite quickly.

9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I smell bacon!

10. flaming_goat

flaming_goat What's a Dremel?

whats the point in a limited free weekend. If the game is any good, then surely an open free weekend would attract loads of players to the game. I often buy games after trying them at a free weekend, or dont if i dont like it.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I just tried this myself and the game is clunky, unresponsive in terms of controls and really, really lacking in ideas. Very boring, not worth the effort imo. Uninstalling now.

12. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Whoops lol sorta didnt read the whole thing so this is not for people in the US ^^;;

Well folks who wants a key???

Edit: seeing if anyone on my facebook wants it that qualifies, if its a no go there, then who ever wants it here will get it.

13. Simnol

Simnol What's a Dremel?

All gone :(

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

It would seem there isn't anyone out there saying good things about this game...

Pop Quiz... seeing as I have my key?

Is it worth me wasting the wear on my SSD even installing this? Let alone my time.

15. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Guinevere, there are far better things to be doing than playing this game. But of course, everything on the internet is "in my opinion".

16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

aww no, I was at work :(

17. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I think it's a game that really doesn't benefit from an MMO mindset. If you're thinking about things like an endgame, PvE, raiding, quests and so on then you're going to be completely, and quite likely unpleasantly, surprised. APB is a GTA style combat game writ large, with a decent character progression path and spectacular customisation options, and that's all it is. Personally I think it's a lot more solid and playable than any of the other vehicular shooters I've played online such as GTA or Saints Row, which tend to be horribly warpy and laggy, even on good systems with a good connection, and for that reason alone I forgive it most of its sins.

18. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I've got my key yesterday (thanks BT!) and tested it for two hours. I agree with Hovis, I'm not a fan of MMO, but the "groups" idea is fine, so the driving does.

In my opinion, the pay-per-hour mode it's the weakest point.

19. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I already played the beta too, it was proper crap. Unless they're going to release a completely different game and it was all an April fools the retail will be rubbish to.

20. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I played in the closed beta, the limited play time format made it hard to get a good idea for the game cause sometimes I felt forced to play it just because there was game time. That aside, I very much enjoyed playing the game with friends but as soon as I'm alone, it feels like a grind. The driving is easy to use and can be very fun. Car chases are one of the best aspects of this game. A 4v4 car chase with 4 cars involved is just mania! Each side has 2 drivers and 2 shooters and it can only end in carnage. :)

On another note, the 32bit Beta forced low graphics (including resolution to 800x600!) which made the game blocky and unattractive. Not only that, there was some serious fault on my system causing the game to micro stutter.

Tags: Add Tags