1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Play TV

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mikeuk2004, 20 Sep 2008.

1. Daniel114

Daniel114 What's a Dremel?

Indeed it is, that and the fact that you can't change the input settings from within PlayTV, or even from the System properties of the PS3 as PlayTV resets all upon starting. Grrrrr

2. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

An 'RF out' would've been handy, you need to buy a splitter if you want aerial going into TV too - although only a minor gripe. It also lacks series-link type searches - I'm sure they could implement this easily in a software update, MS Media Centre manages it (e.g. record all instances of Family Guy on all or one particular channel) - I guess the reason it's been omitted is because it's an ongoing dynamic search-the PlayTV needs the PS3 to be on in order to search for new instances of a program. Wouldn't be that hard to make PlayTV turn the pS3 on once a week just to search for new recordings to schedule though.
    I bought it hoping to replace my XP Media Centre - the PlayTV playback is definitely smoother, the MC used to glitch occasionally - although most likely hardware related. I like the FFWD & RWD on the analogue buttons, harder you squeeze the faster it skips through, very usable - that aspect is better than the 'real' remote control.
    I assume the reason they don't allow it to record 2 channels at once is because it would degrade disk performance too much and may impede gameplay/usability/system speed - again I think this should be optional and enabled at the user's discretion (e.g. off by default, and enabled when you agree to disclaimer about gaming possibly being affected)
    Overall very pleased with it.

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

You can set it to record it daily or weekly and then add how many instances for example if you set it to 10 and weekley, it will record teh show for 10 weeks. Is that what you mean?

Its good enough for me, as my Haupagge 350 PVR card cant do that. ITs better than not having anything and im sure sony will looking at ways to improve the play tv via firmware, so its a matter of wait and see.

4. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

It's time-specific though - e.g. same time slot each week. My Media Centre actively seeks out the show on any channel (or you can limit it to one channel) and any time, I just select, say, Family Guy and it'll go off and record all future Family Guys on any channel and at whatever time, it doesn't need to record the same time slot for an episode. It's purely software based keyword searching and easily implemented I'm sure.

5. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

Replaced my 40Gig PS3 HDD with a 320Gig (was going to at some point anyway), got an aerial splitter and aerial extension at Tesco (dirt cheap, so we don’t have to have the PS3 on to watch TV if we don’t need it) and got PlayTV in the post last Friday, up and running in no time. Never used a PVR or similar before and I’m loving it, easy to use, picture/sound is fine, plenty of use already, it’s a good buy. Thanks for your review/thoughts mike!

6. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Ah right, that would be a cool feature whihc they should be able to implement in a software update. I think that would be very handy, as my only expereince with PVR was my Haupagge 350 which didnt have any features except pausing TV :)

7. MRea

MRea What's a Dremel?

I'm down to 3gb available on my 80gb! 320gb is a must with PlayTV!
    I saw some cheap 'n' cheerful ones on Dabs, I don't think 7200rpm is worth the extra heat, will stick to 5400.
    Anyone found a particularly cheap source of 320gb drives..?

8. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

Scan has a xchoice of 3 drives (Hitachi, WD & Fujitsu) all under £55 with free shipping for Bit-Tech forum members.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Index.aspx?NT=1-0-18-429-0

:thumb:

9. superseagull

superseagull If it aint broke, fix it ;-)

good call identikit i'll get myself down there at the week end

:duh:

10. BigD79

BigD79 Gadding about...

I got a Seagate Momentus 5400RPM 320GB from CCL for £50 it ain't bad, and an IcyBox HDD enclosure to put my old PS3 HDD in from CCL to, for £10.

11. kempez

kempez modding again!

I bought meself a nice 7200RPM WD 250GB HDD and am looking forward to PlayTV on my birthday

Only annoying thing is the lack of a card slot for my Setanta :wallbash: