1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Playing Music Through Guitar Amp / Speaker

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strudul, 5 Apr 2014.

1. Strudul

Strudul ~

So, I don't have any powerful speakers to play music in my flat, but decided to try connecting my iPod up to my guitar amp... and it works.

It is only mono and the quality isn't amazing, but it's good enough for what I need (sorry audiophiles). However, I just want to be sure it won't do any damage.

I've heard that playing a bass guitar through a guitar amp can blow the speaker because it isn't designed for it? So would the same apply if I played a recording of a bass guitar or even some 'dirty dubstep' through it for example?

There are also 2 ways I can connect it up:
    1) "Inst. Input" - where I usually plug a guitar in. This allows me to use the dials / switches on the amp to change the sound.

2) "CD Input" - This seems to bypass the amp and go straight to the speaker. The quality seems a bit better (less distortion / feedback), but none of the amps features work and I have to use the volume control on my iPod to adjust it (which isn't as fun as turning the dials like a badass).

Would it increase / decrease the chance of doing damage by using either of these inputs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

~ xTatic

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

CD inpupt is the safer option. If you use the other you should be carefull as you can damage your amp. This is because the iphone out put is powered.

Sent from Bittech Android app

3. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

No more 'powered' than many other sources. The main difference you're hearing is that the CD input bypasses the guitar-oriented preamp on your amp. As ever, listen for signs that your speaker is stressed but recorded music is usually heavily compressed so you're a lot less likely to damage your amp at normal levels with bassy recordings. (But conversely probably more likely at higher volumes.)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk