1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Playstation 4 pulls ahead in sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 13 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

This is nothing but pointless baiting. The article suggests there's very little in it. Where's the news?

3. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

Sony's sales figures are to actual customers, unlike Microsoft's, which are 'sold through' (to the retailers).

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Speaking as someone who has product in the sales channel (buy my book, by the way) that's not what that means. If an item is "sold through," that means it's in an end-user's hands - it has been sold once to the retailer ("shipped") then sold through the retailer to the end user. The phrase "sold through" or "sell through" is never (or, rather, should never) be used to describe items shipped.

5. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

I think it's bloody great that both are selling well, the Wii U sales were poor and people were painting a bleak future of gaming moving over from dedicated consoles/PC into the hands of smartphone/tablet touchscreen stuff I am mostly not interested in.

Let's hope it continues beyond the early adopters.

6. Hustler

Hustler Well-Known Member

However you want to split hairs over the terminology, the fact that you can go and buy an Xbox One without much problem 2 weeks before Christmas is a telling fact, whilst PS4 is selling out as soon as stock arrives.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Hey, I'm not pro-Xbox One or anti-PS4. I own neither, and have no plans to change that in the near future, and nor could I care which one is selling the most. I'm merely correcting your mistake, so A) you don't make it again in future, and 2) nobody else reads it and makes the same mistake.

8. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will be buying a Xbox One at some point and it will simply be for the Halo games, and if they make any more resistance games then I will probably buy a PS4.

Either way my pc will remain my main gaming machine until Keyboard and Mouse can be used when playing games without the need for adaptors.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog New Member

Hustler, you can't determine actual sales numbers by the availability of remaining stock. You also can't judge a product's popularity by sale figures either. If you think of a total of 700k people and break down the numbers like this: 100k - Xbox One only, 100k - PS4 only, 500k - Both consoles, you have a completely balanced sales sheet, but if everyone who bought both consoles each choose a preferred console once owned and 80% of the choose Xbox One for example, you would have a popularity of 500k/200k. This is a long term race and has nothing to do with which console customers buy first, but which one they choose to stick with and buy games for.

10. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Actually, I know more people getting hold of PS4s really easy. The launch day hype just wasn't there. Pre launch you heard all kinds of nonsense. However, now I know people who just walked into Argos and got it delivered by courier the next day. Not very difficult really.

11. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

I think any anecdotal evidence about who has stock of what is a wasted comment. Seriously people, shut up.

What I find interesting is that MS and Sony gave hard numbers where as Nintendo gave relative increase. 100% extra of **** all is still **** all.

12. NethLyn

NethLyn Member

The real news is AMD is the winner, shame that it goes hand in hand with potentially not having value gaming CPUs out there anymore to the same scale as previously.

What I want is a plugged-in-at-the-wall power consumption test for the pair of them and I'd hope the PS4 used less since it's cheaper anyway.

13. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Member

actually posts like these only feeds fanboys more, and at the moment seriously a lot of Sony fanboys are getting on the top in terms of being annoying.

14. rollo

rollo Well-Known Member

Even if you combine all 3 your not talking world leading numbers. Similar priced tech has sold a lot more in similar time frames.

Personally till a decent exclusive comes out I'll be buying niether.

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy New Member

The last time I bought a console I was really badly disappointed.

I was kind of talked into it any way.

/puts on flame resistant suit.

If the figures are correct then as a gamer I'm glad to see that the console more aimed at actual gaming and gamers is selling better.

16. Nikumba

Nikumba Member

I have neither, and have owned a 360 and PS3 in the past, but I see the PS4 pulling ahead initially but it is a long race, something like 10 years till the next gen or something?

But I think as households become even more digital than their are now, I see the extra features of the XB1 coming into their own.

For me at the moment the PS4 is a games console and the XB1 is a home entertainment hub.

Both play games, both play blu-rays but I think the extra's the xbox has will see it the winner in the end

Kimbie

17. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Member

PS4 is definitely more dominant in my area as I know of no one that has bought one. All my friends who have/had 360s have either got a PS4 or have said they'll get one later. I've not heard anyone talk up the XBONE irl. That being said, I was talking to someone from another part of the country pre launch and he was saying everyone in his local were all planning on going XBONE.

Tags: Add Tags