1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayStation 4 Playstation 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jasio, 9 Dec 2012.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

In the end, this is the same for me. Not sure yet whether this will be a PS4, and upgraded PC or a 'Steam Box'.

Games seem to be coming in more expensive for the PS4 though - it's getting to the point where they are a serious investment, so I am hoping for a significant upward trend in gaming quality (and not just a new paint job on last year's game).

2. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Exactly,
    I'd get a PS4 for the exclusives and maybe the odd game of call of duty and use my PC for battlefield 4 and other games which would benefit more from powerful hardware.

I like the fact that with a console you just turn it on and it works, no tinkering or messing around, no manual patches or anything of the like.

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Well my ability to hold out getting a PS4 until March next year (when Infamous is due) went out the window :D:

[​IMG]

Managed to grab one in my local Sainsburys on Sunday. I missed all the original hype for the console but, I must admit for the couple of hours I was queuing (and for the whole weekend, as I found out they were coming in Sunday on Friday) I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Only managed to play a bit of Killzone and mess about with Remote play so far but, first impressions are very positive.

The new Dualshock 4 is nice (although I still prefer the Xbone contoller). Here's a quick comparison of the latest controllers with their relevatives:

[​IMG]

Remote play is a fantastic bonus and for me was a major decision factor in wanting a PS4 in the first place. There is a hint of lag, but Killzone is perfectly playable in SP form and would be passable for a quick round in MP. Fast paced shooters like COD or BF4 would be a bit more difficult as the downscaling and slight lag would affect online MP quite a bit. Overall though the experience is decent and will only get better over time. All games that don't require the camera have to support it, so unlike the Wii U - shich only allows on off screen play on limited titles, you really can take your games with you.

Quick shot of Killzone on my Vita (please excuse the quality):

[​IMG]

Final shot, PS4 with friends (and a portable sun):

[​IMG]

Will be playing a bit of Killzone at lunch (via remote play) and I can't wait! Really exited about the future of both consoles (expecially considering what developers like Naughty dog were squeezing out of the PS3).

4. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Arrrgh, still waiting for mine, bloody Amazon haven't even gave me a date yet.....

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Check your local Supermarkets, you might get lucky (this is what I did). I was told that my local Sainsburys store (Street) got and extra 6 as a "bonus" for excellent sales. I imagine this would be the case for others.

6. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

The amazon bundle is the gamers pack with kz, 2 controllers and a camera, all things I want and at an ~80quid saving, I have to admit I am tempted to just go out and buy one whilst I wait though, (un)fortunately there was no stock in Tesco when I went down for one :D

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Fair enough, nice saving on that bundle.

Game will probably have stock (they did locally to me) but you have to buy their £600+ bundle to actually get one..... Er no thanks.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

That's the bundle I got - excellent value considering the contents! Game's offering is terrible though :(

9. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

it's in the post, not long for me now then :) Suppose I better get downloading the recovery firmware to put the hybrid drive in.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Make sure you get the full installer which is about 900MB, rather than the upgrade firmware which is 300 and something.

11. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

All done it was a doddle, switched out, in about 5-10 minutes I was up and running, it couldn't be easier.

Nice bit of kit, looks good, smaller than the slim, found it to be a bit slow downloading but I think that's because it just downloads a lot in parallel rather than queue stuff up and I have a poor ADSL line, they need to add download priorities.

My bundle came with the camera but doesn't appear to have the rubber stand to mount on the HDTV reviews mention, you might only get that in an official camera purchase perhaps, I'll go through the packaging and make sure I didn't mistake it for junk, did anyone else get the stand in Sonys official bundles?

Pretty silent in idle, it is not silent it use, comparable to the slim though, its not too bad, I was pleased to discover my Sharkoon 5.1 headset works fine on optical and its additional usb audio soundcard for chat were picked up and work flawlessy, there is a lot less background noise from it, all voice commands etc, work fine. Having the keyboard in stuffs up remote play and power on though as it assumes someone is using the machine local, small bug there.

sharing and broadcasting is a doddle with that share button, well when my camera would stay on top of my screen. The social side and whats new are all nice too.

The PS4 picked up my usb keyboard and mouse, mouse implementation much like the touchpad is flaky, no doubt these two are connected and need further firmware revisions, needs to be supported in the browser, very nice to be able to use the PS4 app for some of this stuff like messaging, remote play on Vita works better than the old remote play on PSP too, looks useful.

Need to get in to some of the games, but overall I quite happy with what we are starting with, the UI is not bad, nicely overhauled yet still familiar so still easy to find things, I can see it getting cluttered the more games I add, seems strange to show all games in a strip and then have a library to look at your games?

Last edited: 7 Dec 2013
  12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No stand - I've heard it might be a US only thing?

13. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So, I've had it a little while now, and I'm still happy. Camera is barely used, but that's what I expected. The wife does find it funny yelling PLAYSATION, POWER, ENTER STANDBY MODE now and then.

One niggle I did have is that there was a casting flaw on one of my DualShock4 analogue sticks, namely the rubber cover on top. Over time, pressure on one of the raised edges has caused a tear. So, I gave Amazon a call and they've given me a refund for £49 to buy a whole new controller, and didn't even want the old one back. Win!

14. gilljoy

gilljoy Well-Known Member

Decided to pick one up today and much to my surprise Argos had one in stock :)

PSN name is gilljoy if anyone fancies a game of killzone.

Shame there's a bit of a dry spell with games until Feb

15. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

I was very lucky to be gifted one at christmas, but there was no stock, so I am eagerly waiting! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

16. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I am patiently waiting for some games to be released and for them to re-add the media streaming capabilities. Instead of setting my ps3 and bluetooth receiver back up for my harmony remote I just decided to plug my laptop in through HDMI to stream while I wait for it to be re-added in the ps4 (streaming from a NAS that is). I'm also not impressed with the release titles. No interest in NFS, soccer or basketball / most single player games. I've already got bf4 on pc. Here's to hoping drive club and the games coming out in March can really convince me to use my ps4.

17. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Just received mine yesterday, got it all set up and running.

First time Playstation owner! I have always been an Xbox man, but it was still quite an easy decision for me.

The only games I have so far are Killzone Shadowfall and Resogun.

Killzone is a great looking game and it runs butterysmooth, color me impressed.
    I think it is time to retire this rig and move to itx, the GTX 760 in my rig is a complete waste.

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Nearly completed Killzone now (took quite a break) and I must admit it was absolutely jaw dropping in sections - especially as there is no hint of slow down.

The lighting engine in particular is phenomenal.

Sadly some of the gameplay elements and general feel overall let it down somewhat.

It's quite annoying as certain levels are fantastic in feel an atmosphere whilst others are just "shoot wave after wave of enemy until checkpoint".

Also nearly completed Knack, a game which has nearly caused the death of my DS4 on occasion. Unfortunately Lego Marvel (which I have on the Xbone) makes it feel like a game from the early PS1 era.

19. sandys

sandys Well-Known Member

Killzone does look pretty impressive, it is just a shame Guerilla have no clue about lip syncing in cut scenes. Gun sounds could be better too.

Found it quite difficult so far, probably because I have tried to play lots of it without shooting, probably not the right idea in an FPS :D Just man, owl and knife.

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Assuming you are playing the earlier chapters, ensure you get the Owl to hack the alarm towers either before or after the Helghan troops know you are in the area. If you don't you will be treated to an endless swarm of enemies. I got caught out by this on the first wooded section as I couldn't work out where all of the troops were coming from. I think the game took pity on me and told me what to do. :p

The latter chapters just love to throw more and more enemies at you - especially the sodding ones with the huge shields & shotguns - which thanks to the lighting are difficult to spot until it is too late. I won't spoil anything (as you may not have got far enough into the game yet to encounter them), but you also meet a new enemy type which is even more of a pain in the ass. All I will say is you Owl's stun ability will come in VERY handy!