1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding please help!(new pics)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by UNO, 5 Nov 2003.

1. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

i need some ideas on what to do wit my side pannelon my case it is so small
    i want to put the napster kitty on the side of it but i dont know here are some pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

above is the pattern that i have cut out for the window

Last edited: 5 Nov 2003
  2. lazychook

lazychook What's a Dremel?

look good ben :clap:
    what would look really cool is making the eyes out of blue perspecs and mount blue or white leds on the side of the case shining directly at the eyes so they glow...would look mad! :D
    post plans of what your going to do :idea:

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

I would rather have frosted, side-lighted acrylic glowing blue. I've never seen a napster kitty window before. Go for it!

4. Shogun

Shogun Banned

its a nice design but im trying to work out how the inside part of the face will be held up. Glued to the plexi?

5. lazychook

lazychook What's a Dremel?

i think thats the idea shogun :thumb:
    ive been thinking about it, and recon that it might look better if the white areas of the pic are the metal and the blue is the clear perspecs. light blue eyes, ofcourse a nice light blue perspecs, even see-through blue. and the white bits inside the head glued onto the perspecs...

just a thought. :D

6. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

do you all think i should make the window size bigger and sabotage my ventalation holes and handle-thingy

7. WizardLock

WizardLock What's a Dremel?

I just was wondering what the status on this mod was, and if you got any new pics?

8. shroom

shroom What's a Dremel?

May just be the camera veiw, but theres an asemmetrical nub on the left headset.. thingy.

9. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

original idea, but napster sucks :nono:

(the original didn't)

itunes is the way to go :clap:

10. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

umm unfortunatly i do not have any more pics
    i am currently wating for my rotozip to come in so that i can do a sweet job on my window
    if you do not know what rotozip is you are living a life in the dark
    please check out this site for your own benifit
    http://www.rotozip.com/

and napster may suck now but we can not hide the fact that napster paved the road to pirating and i am putting a napster window in as a tribute to napser

and yes there is a nub there.......the nub was cut to allow me to handle the stencil better and hold it in place

11. FearsomeMouse

FearsomeMouse What's a Dremel?

Ok, I'll be dumb enough to admit to the fact that i didn't know what a rotozip was until i clicked on the link:wallbash:... am I the only one that didn't? :sigh:

Next point: as kool as that design would look as a window - i'm thinking it needs some modifications. This has nothing to do watsoever with what it represents, but rather something to do with the fact that sticking the metal onto the perspex wont look half as good as not sticking the metal to the perspex if that makes abny sense to anyone?

What I'm basically saying is - is there any way to incorporate the design into the need to have it as one broad piece of metal that you back with perspex? - to make the point a little clearer - can you swap some things that are going to be in perspex for something as metal surrounded (in part) by perspex. Obviously this is a rather simplistic way of putting it as when it comes time to design it it will be ... difficult.

However i think that the overall effect of it in the end will be worth it. I cant see metal stuck on perspex making this look as good. Am i the only one who can see this? I'm most likely wrong. But - room for new design concepts here?

Thats all...

--FearsomeMouse

12. spinDr

spinDr What's a Dremel?

Perhaps make the window bigger, and in the dead middle of the side panel. You will probably have to lose a few of the ventilation holes, but only the ones directly under the design. The design would be somewhat framed around the bottom and i reckon it would look quite awesome.

Getting the cat head and the little cresent on metal, and then sticking it onto a perspex window cut in the shape of the headphones would look pretty cool, if you dont get it laser cut you will be spending a while with a file trying to get it right.

Good luck with it, nice idea.

13. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

heres what id do.

Go with the exact design as in your first pic, without the need for 'legs' to support the eyes in the kittys face.

use something like a 2 part epoxy resin, like Araldite, and glue the metal onto the perspex. I know people advised against it, but if you file the edges of the cut metal well, then smooth them with wet'n'dry paper (silicon carbide) then youll get a really nice edge.

i know the windowed bit would only be the fat outter line of the kitty, and the eyes etc, but i think sticking to the original idea would look nice... you could have all the windowed area clear, except for the eyes, frosted and theyd really glow alot more... evil eyed kitty :thumb:

ill let you choose :) now lets see some nice rotozip work
    (and take it easy with the roto zip :) im a dremel and jigsaw man myself...)

14. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

i have to agree with fearsomemouse on this one, making it so that you dont have to stick the metal to the acryllic will make it much better, and have all the acryllic frosted see through blue and then have it light, it would look very nice

15. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

Well you have to think of the alternatives, and tbh, you can either have 'legs' cutting thro the design so it supports itself, bolt the excess metal to the window...or....

alot of people glue the plexi in the case, or double sided tape it in...

Im pretty sure UNO doesnt want to change the design too much

[​IMG]

could do something like this i suppose... but the top arc would be pretty fragile.

16. FearsomeMouse

I dont think the fragility is an issue to be honest...The perspex will hold it in place. I just know from what i've seen that sticking metal on perspex / arcrylic has never looked quite as good as solid metal with perspex backing. The latter technique seems to make it look more professional...

The only other thing i can really think of would be to invert your design... (the latest one posted)... so that you get more window see-through goodness... :idea:
    Of course - the downside to this would be no glowing eyes unless you cut them out or something... :dremel:

N e ways - keep us posted...

--FearsomeMouse

17. lukemm

lukemm What's a Dremel?

i disagree, if its done properly, it would look stunning, and its would appear to hover rather than look stuck on.

could always do the inner details frosted, and have a larger viewing surface to the iside of the case.

18. FearsomeMouse

perhaps...

just that i havent seen one done properly to give that effect, so I really can't be a good judge on that. But i can see where your coming from. :cooldude:

Anything done right looks good. Its doing it right that makes it difficult.

UNO what ever you decide I'm sure you'll pull it off... If you've got a bit of extra cash (not that i know many ppl who do) lying around, I'd recommend some experimentation first to see what will and wont work. :dremel: Good luck!

--FearsomeMouse

19. UNO

UNO What's a Dremel?

WAIT lukemm let me get this straight........

you think that i should keep the metal outline (frame of the kittys face) and then have teh eyes and nose frosted
    kinda like this where the white is frosted blue is plexiglass and black is the metal
    [​IMG]

and fearsomemouse i am not quite sure what exactly you are saying.......you think that instead of havin metal in teh window at all i should frost the entire thing?
    some pics like lukemm's would realy help

oh yea and what are perspecs?stupid question i know but i am just wondering is that like plexyglass or somethin

20. FearsomeMouse

perspex is basically the same as acrylic / clear plastic

My apologies... Seems that my idea has escaped me. sorry about that. I had it all worked out and then... it was gone!

Happens frequently to me. I write ideas down all the time to stop forgetting them...

mabey you could work it hand in hand with a window etch? That way if you ever got sick of it - it wouldnt be such an effort to remove the etch and adjust the edges of the window?

I dont know - i've got a mind blank at the mo. :grr: - happens during exams!

If it comes back to me i'll post it up here.

--FearsomeMouse