1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by [GiB]Grey M@a, 2 May 2002.

1. [GiB]Grey M@a

[GiB]Grey M@a What's a Dremel?

hi all

i recently bought the aplha heatsink for my 1800+ xp chip, i am pleased with the cooling 34c idle 38 load but every so often there is this annoying sound coming from it, its like someone is using a saw mill to cut timber, but obviously much quieter, but its that type of sound.

at first i thought it might just be the 80mm fan rattling off the fan holder as when i held the fan the rattle stopped. so i tightened the screws, this worked for about a day or 2 and now the annoying saw mill noise / rattle is back. it happens rarely but when it does appear it stays for about 5 mins then goes again. could this just be the 80mm delta making the fan holder vibrate off the fins on the heatsink ?

please help, it is getting annoying now :grr: and i know that someone on this forum must have one of these heatsinks :)

cheers

Grey M@a

if it helps i could record the noise if it happens and post a link to it, so you can hear it, i have norrowed the noise down to the heatsink as first off i thought it was the hard drives but it isnt :p

cheers all

2. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

It definitely sounds like something is a bit loose. just try tightening everything on the heatsink and go from there! Otherwise, the fan could be faulty or on its way out. If possible try another one and see if that helps at all.

3. stewe151

stewe151 Stress Personified

i had the same problem with one of my fans. it turned out that a wire was brushing up againsed it. check and see if there are any loose wires near by that could be hitting it.

4. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i had the wire onto fan blades problem before... try running it with the side off to see the problem ??

btw incase this isn't the obvious ;) i'll move to hardware... where the nice ppl know all about hsfs :D

5. RTT

RTT #parp

if the fan is rattling the screws loose, then keep an eye on it!

dont want the fan falling off....:worried:

6. Adam

Adam Minimodder

That saw analogy reminds me of the sound I often hear when going to fix old worn out computers, when the fan is on its way out. I'm don't see how your brand new fan could have the same problem though, try running the fan while not attached to the motherboard to see if it still makes the noise. If so maybe it's knackered.

One other suggestion, I had a loud noise once from my CPU fan which was actually caused by the motherboard not being screwed down tightly causing it to vibrate.