1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please will someone explain to me why we (the free world) are not stamping hard on IS

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pete J, 12 Sep 2015.

1. walle

walle Well-Known Member

Banks and weapons manufactures reap the rewards I guess, one group is lending money to the warring factions the other is selling them weapons.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You know what? They want to, but we keep interfering. Iran was quite happy with its democratic government in 1953, but we changed that to the Shah for our own purposes. Then the Iranians overthrew it, but the Fundies under Ayatolllah Khomeini took the opportunity to hijack the process.

Iraq? Again, we foisted Saddam Hussein on its citizens. And when it suited us, we overthrew him again. The current government is not what most citizens voted for, and they feel that they have no stake in the process. Which is why a significant proportion is turning to ISIS instead.

Afghanistan? Doing OK for itself, really, but then the Russians invaded, and we responded by hothousing a bunch of Jihad warriors to oppose them, and the we invaded when that came back to haunt us.

Every country in the Middle East with which we have a history or close ties is basically a dictatorship or fundamentalist regime, where the citizens have no power. Because we like it that way.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Can't disagree with that, it's like western countries can't stop themselves.

Not excusing what they do, but maybe they feel compelled to keep interfering because they feel obliged to sort out the mess they made in the first place.

I'm not sure saying "because we like it that way" is correct though, I think it's more a case of we interfered and screwed things up so let's try and put things right, it's like they can't see all their doing is making things worse.

4. Nexxo

I suspect it is more a matter of vicious cycles. Every time we try to engineer things to go our way we cause it to blow up in our face so we have to intervene again etc. This happens because we want people over there to live in a way that works for us, without giving any thought to whether it actually works for them. If it does not work for them they are bound to react against it.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

As far as I'm concerned, the western world would do well to stop sticking their oars in.

We've demonstrated, more than once, that we can't be trusted to get it right either. Arguably the most powerful country in the world is looking horrifyingly like they're interested in electing Trump, for gods sake, what the hell do they know about politics?

6. Yadda

Yadda Well-Known Member

I reckon that we'll just keep wobbling between "we're doing too much!" and "we're not doing enough!" for a few more decades until either a peaceful equilibrium is eventually reached or we blow ourselves up. Whichever happens first.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Perhaps they reailise that there is no politics only business, so you might as well vote for your favorite business man :D

8. walle

walle Well-Known Member

It's beginning more and more to look like we're entrusting the arsonists to put out the fires.
    When they do manage to control their urge to set some remote region a blaze they can't but help themselves to start reignite one someplace else and it's back in full swing again.

Perhaps it would be best to ship them off to some barren planet then scuffle the vessel on its way back, or what ever you would call that in space. :dremel:

9. Nexxo

I'm liking that concept for a reality TV show:

"The Martians"

A new Big Brother-style TV show, in which the political leaders of a number of countries are sent to a colony on Mars and left to get on with it under the watchful gaze of the TV viewing audience. Watch the president of the US and Russia argue over who gets the top bunk. Watch the leaders of Palestine and Israel negotiate bathroom privileges. Moreover watch their faces as the realisation dawns on them that the next supply ship won't arrive for four years, and they have to grow their own food and recycle their own water and air in the meantime. Are they going to be able to science the **** out of this thing? Will there be life on Mars? Tune in and find out, on "The Martians!"

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

11. Nexxo

It is one organisation, and it is not a registered charity but a group of 100 people doing their own thing.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Well-Known Member

BBC editing at its best again....swore it said charity when I linked it

13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm sure you swore it said BBC and not Sky News as well :D

14. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Far over the misty mountains cold

I don't know about 'Not sticking our nose', the current situation in middle-east need to be solved asap, don't you think? Why does the arab nations aren't already allied to cut off that gangrenous limb that is IS? I'm really under the impression that someone is waiting for europe or the americas to send ground troops.

15. Nexxo

The League of Arab Nations basically is not more effective than the United Nations. Lots of infighting and bickering.

Let's first accept that every time we intervene in the Middle East we make things a bit worse. This is because we change things in a way that works for us, not in a way that works for them. So if we intervene again we will again be motivated by our own interests --installing a government that keeps its refugees put within its borders-- without a single thought as to how that government will work out for the local population. And if the locals ain't happy, civil war is not far away. Again.

16. walle

walle Well-Known Member

I like the concept.

But I think the TV show would be dead the very minute any space being decided to scan the vessel and discovers who's on-board.

In the news next day.
    The Big Brother space vessel "eyes on you" and her crew with contestants team "have trust in us" disappeared from our telescopes last night, no one knows what happened.

17. Nexxo

See? It's a win every way! :)

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

N/a

Last edited: 15 Sep 2015
  19. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Far over the misty mountains cold

So It's either not helping them and it will blow us up in the face or not helping them and still blow us up in the face. Choose between a puddle of **** or a puddle of piss : /

note: I hoped for something more poetic for my 3000th post, oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited: 14 Sep 2015
  20. Nexxo

My point is that we're never helping them; we're helping ourselves.