1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Plexi Glass or Acryl ?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by j.rhy@n, 30 Oct 2006.

1. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n What's a Dremel?

Hi.

Im making a new mod and I wanted to purchase some Plastic Coloured glass...

Wich sort should I buy ?

Plexi Glass or Acryl ? or are both the same ....

I want to purchase from E Bay Germany so I have added a link to what I think should be suitable , also what thickness you recommend ?

Thx

Links - Here Red Here Mixed ?

2. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

Acrylic and Plexiglas are the same thing. Plexiglas is just a brand name, while acrylic is the material.

Thickness depends completely on what you are using it for. If it's structural, it wouldn't hurt to use 0.5 inch (~1.25 cm). If it's just for a window, 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch (~0.25 cm to 0.5 cm). If needs to be really flexible, go even thinner than that.

3. Navig

Navig What's a Dremel?

Your basic breakdown of window plastic is acrylic vs polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is stronger and fractures less, which is important when using 1/8in (3mm) thickness, but usually is only found is 2-3 colors--clear, gray, bronze.

Acrylic has a much broader range of colors, is cheaper, but be very careful with anything around 1/8in thickness--has a tendency to fracture when drilling or cutting.

navig