1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Police commissioner calls for Adults Only game rating

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Mar 2015.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

What exactly happens to under 18s when exposed to over 18 material ?

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Games are so expensive these days I'd be willing to bet the absolute majority of them is purchased by adults regardless of age rating.
    The problem is that parents give games to their kids while being completely ignorant about the content.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Patronising as ever I see Spreadie... but let me ask you this, where in my comments have I even suggested that age ratings should be removed or abolished? I pointed out that they are inherently flawed as they are in almost any form, from a perspective that any further 'guidelines' will only confuse the issue further while doing nothing to rectify current inconsistencies. So please, don't react to things that haven't been said... or is that all too obvious for you?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not knowing and have them doing it anyway, ignorance is bliss. :D

They instantly become crazed loons that are unable to tell the difference between fiction and reality.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Back-pedalling already, schizofrog?

Well, apart from me NOT actually stating you said those exact words, you did say:
    Yes, that suggests you are fully in favour of them. Of course, silly me.

So, making the huge leap, that you are not in favour of them, I said:
    At which point, rather than defend your remarks, you tried to attack mine:
    ...and as soon as that ploy is blown out of the water, you try to get defensive, with the time honoured "well, never actually said those exact words".

Please.

6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

If I had kids & they wanted a game like GTA I'd get it them & supervise educating them on anything good, bad or ugly done as they play it, they'd probably hate it & want lego & I'd have GTA to play for myself. :hehe::clap::D

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm pretty sure that describes all teens

8. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

This feels like a non-topic to debate over :/

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Like Facebook et al's 'you must be 13 to have an account', unless they actually enforce the age ratings it's largely pointless...

As for an 'AO' rating over here what would be covered by an AO rating that isn't already covered by an 18 rating?

10. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Since there's already an 18 rating this would be utterly pointless.
    Enforcing the 18 rating would be a better thing to do.

11. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I was playing GTA 3 when I was 7 or 8 years of age. I don't understand the need for them to try and govern everything.

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Yes, but a cry for "a new law" shows you've "done something". (even if legislation already exists)

It's what politicians all over the world spend their time on, beeing seen as "doing something".

Saying" yeah well, we've already got a rating but nobody gives a damn about it" doesn't get you in the paper.

Anyway, what this could lead to is what happened in the states, street-side shops simply not stocking anything with this label.
    I mean, they could do that now, based upon the existing 18 label, but....(rewind, reread) :D

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Spreadie, once again just to 'point out the obvious'. I stated that current age ratings and the laws that back them up are idiotic but never once suggested that there should be no laws. You can twist what people say to suit yourself all you want, but it won't make you any more correct and I neither need, nor desire your agreement to justify my own opinions and comments. Time and time again you antagonise and criticise others while heaping praise on yourself and I have no intention of continuing these 'arguments' with you because quite frankly, they are pathetic.

14. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Heaping praise on myself? Seriously? :hehe:

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Eeeh, not so much. Sure, in the early days of gaming (late 70s, early 80s) you could expect to pay anything from £5 to £20 for a game - but if you correct that for inflation, that's the equivalent of £20 to £90 in today's money. Now, there were budget games as cheap as £1.99 in the late 80s, but at the equivalent of just shy of £5 today that's easily compared to your average Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network or Wii eShop casual title - or five mobile phone games, whatever.

Now, how about console games? Let's look at Bloodborne as a new release, priced at £49.99 (available from other outlets for less, but that's the usual selling price from a UK name-brand outlet.) Sure, £50 is a lot of money - but I remember when Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition launched on the Sega Mega Drive at £59.99 in 1993 - the equivalent of nearly £110 corrected for inflation.

So, no, games aren't expensive these days: they're cheaper than they've ever been, and that's despite budgets rising from "£10 to buy the coder a pizza" to anything up to $200 million plus advertising costs...

(Oh, and as an anecdotal aside, I've stopped buying new-release games. I picked up a copy of Batman: Arkham Origins for the Xbox 360 the other week, for £3.95. Delivered.)

16. ArcAngeL

ArcAngeL What's a Dremel?

They need a better means to control access to the game. How exactly who knows, visa debit cards are easily obtained now.

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I don't think the current systems need changing, they just need enforcing at all levels, not just the sale, but at parental level as well. if parents were to get a hefty fine for allowing their 14yr old play an 18 rated game, i'm sure most of the more responsible parents would stop allowing minors to play them

18. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

I agree on enforcing the laws for sales, but what parents allow their kids to watch and play is a different story entirely. Much like alcohol, it's up to the parents to choose what is allowed and what isn't. Besides, I have yet to see any evidence of M17-rated shooters causing any harm to a child's development.

Sure, games are more detailed and realistic than Doom was back in the day (which I happily played at age 5 and turned out OK), but at the same time, the Avengers is rated as PG-13 in the US, 12A in the UK (interestingly, M in Aus....) and is easily as violent.. minus the blood. Pacific Rim is also in the same boat, and has more than it's fair share of monster blood, slime, guts and gizzards.

PG stands for parental-guidance: you're supposed to explain why and how the movies aren't real, and why certain behaviours are unacceptable as a parent, not just ban your kids from dealing with the full range of human culture and expect them to grow up and mature emotionally on their own without any nurture.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not sure about M17-rated shooters but research tends to show significant exposure to media violence increases the risk of aggressive behavior in certain children, although i dare say there's just as much research that show it doesn't.

That's just crazy talk, next you'll be saying parents should cloth and feed their kids. :D

20. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

So do TV shows. An interesting point raised would be the following:

So.. teach your kids to control themselves?

Either ways, whatever people say about video games causing violence can just as well be leveled at movies, music, comic books, literature, even news, so much as society did with all the previous forms of "new media", we should level parenting to be, well, the parent's damn responsibility of not raising an annoying, violent, brat (or psychopath) who will hurt other people.

I know, right?!