1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Polishing Chrome, Aluminium and all that jazz.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kimnkk, 6 Jun 2006.

1. kimnkk

kimnkk What's a Dremel?

Well, i'm looking to polish a few things around the house that are made of metal, particularly aluminium and chrome.

One of the things i'm planning to fix up is my mobile, which is fairly scratched up and made of aluminium that had been polished so it was mirror like (Nokia 8800). Its got a fair few deep scratches as well, would polishing it make them less visable? :(

Are there any good polishing compounds out there? I'm not sure on the process of making things shiny again, but i assume you just put the polishing compound on and voila? Or do i need some rubbing compound?

Also, is there any particular polishing/rubbing compounds you guys can recommend? I've tried google, but most of the guides and products tend to be related to vehicles (and my car doesn't need a good a good shine :p). Would this Eagle One Never Dull work on things like my mobile, or is that too 'small' for it?

Cheers,
    Kim.

2. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

3. kimnkk

kimnkk What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link mate! Very interesting, and the results look awesome. But i can't find a shop or online store in Australia that stocks that stuff :(. And the Nokia 8800 already is polished, i just want to buff it up again and cover up some scratches, if thats possible with polishing compounds.

I also read the WMD Part III just then and found that he used 'Sheila Shine' to buff up his aluminium - would that still work on stainless steel and would it cover up or buff down stratches?

What about Autosol? Does anyone think that is 'fine' enough to use on small components like phones? Or would it only be suited for vehicle bits and pieces?

4. h_2_o

h_2_o What's a Dremel?

if it just needs a good polish look around for a white toothpaste and a good buffing wheel for a dremil. what i mean by white toothpaste is they have all these gel's and other stuff, do not use those, look for the all white generic stuff. that stuff is basically a polishing compound for your teeth. it does amazing things to metals/plastics/etc...... I use it all the time. gl in your quest, and as always remember to try it out on something similar first to see if you get the results you are looking for.

5. pingthepiratehobo

pingthepiratehobo What's a Dremel?

theres a good polish i found in coles a little while ago called autosol shine (is an aussie)
    lapped an old heatsink base with some 1200 grit wet/dry paper and then polished it for a couple minutes- like a mirror now.
    toothpaste is good too though

6. Sebbo

Sebbo What's a Dremel?

i remember a MythBuster's episode where they were testing out different uses for Coke, and it turned out that pouring some coke over the chrome and scrubbing it with a ball of al-foil worked better than the polishing compound...not sure if you'd want to use coke with your phone tho...

7. Hepath

Hepath Minimodder

For platics and stuff - I've used Brasso! Old product, but it worked :)

Specially good for clear plastics (finishing off - then buffed)