1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Dell reintroduces XP on home PC selection

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 24 Apr 2007.

?

What OS would you choose for your Dell?

1. Windows XP

24 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Windows Vista

25 vote(s)
    23.8%
  3. Linux

11 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Wouldn't buy a Dell

45 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

In my opinion i think microsoft should leave Xp operating system cause what happend if they have a part that is not Vista capable? and they need window's Xp how are they going to get windows Xp. Next amny games are not Vista capapble and a Small gaming fan there are certain games that is not vista capable for example BF2 i have a vista computer and it is not running i was lucky that Diablo II *yea I play it* I was able to run it on vista. if it's discontinued they should leave Vista and Xp on many people like Xp cause

2. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Wow, one would at least hope that people would try something, consider it, and then figure out some argument to rant and rave about. Rather than just picking out comments from other places, taking them out of context, and going all "change is for the worse!" on us.

I have vista on both my main room system, and my laptop. Not run into a single problem yet (no firewall/AV installed either). Rather I've had nothing but good times with it. Not even a single BSOD, crash, or freeze, despite having both computers on almost 24/7. Hell, my lappy even gets better battery life!

So here is one very strange idea that you lot should attempt: USE THE OS BEFORE BASHING IT.

Thanks.

3. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

a QFT. would have said that but last time i checked "QFT" was censored :p

edit: wait maybe for the win -> "***" was censored
    edit2: yep.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

QFT!

The only time I got BSODs on Vista was when I was overclocking due to the enhanced memory management proving my RAM wasn't up to the job. Runs faster though then when it was overclocked on XP.

5. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

love fluxbox best gui ever, shame that my silyl foxconn mobo dosen't play nice with linux I will have to sit down for a long hard day of hacking and get something installed though as xp is driving me beserk with it's slowness particularly in file management. Go try fluxbox it kills gnome KDE, xp and especialy vista on the speed front :D

6. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

I did at a lan on someone else's pc, it was the worst os I have ever used ever, worse even than the faux 32bit crashathon that was windows 95a, at least windows 95 didn't display 3 warnings per operation and ran much faster on hardware about 50x slower.

7. tech3312

Yes it is going to change for the worse and i got a couple of BSOD before i was able to fix it the only problem i have was when i run window's media center and when i quit it it alway's give me the BSOD. :jawdrop: and last not all games is Vista capable they should push all games to be Vista capable that's the problem when they going to intorduce a new technology and going to discontinue the technology with out giving time for us to readjust and many people perfer XP, Next there going to spend like 160.00 *more popular* just to update the O.S So they won't be "behind technology" :waah: :waah:

8. DougEdey

99% of BSODs in Vista is caused by faulty RAM. That's what myself and some friends worked it down to

9. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

exactly right.

I have already built about 15 vista systems for other people on campus, and when memory is bad, it BSODs with a mem error..

when I use XP on the same system, it runs fine until that mem sector is utilized.

this actually points to a better OS, because it recognizes faults before they become lost work.

10. Stompy

Stompy What's a Dremel?

Vista runs like a dream on my laptop, it has never ever crashed.

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

It's such a pity as well. Vista is actually a really good OS, and more importantly to me, represents a new thing for MS, they actually care about the security.

Vista has been out for 6 months now and if you include the RC's then it's been about 9-10 months. there are still no really good drivers for nvidia (And I won't even bother mentioning the POS that creative puts out). Any app compatibility issues still haven't been patched up.
    That's pretty disgusting to me, and as a result, I will never buy another Creative sound card (The hardware isn't bad though).

12. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Vista is good, the only problem I have with it, is the way they've butchered the sound stack for surround systems, but I think I've worked out a solution for that now.

Only driver I've had issues with were earlier nVidia drivers, and belkin drivers, so I used a alternative wifi driver, and stuck with WDDM till the dirver i'm using now came out, and now life is good..

13. Bluephoenix

I have only one thing to mourn, and that is the loss of directsound (what on earth possessed them to remove it!!)

@ramble - the above is why creative is having such a problem with it, the Alchemy project as made some success in re-activating hardware acceleration but really the entire architecture of soundcards has to be rethought.

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I've found Vista to be nothing more than a total pain in the behind, but then I found the same thing with XP until they patched it to SP1, lesson learnt this time and as such I'll wait before using the incompatibility fest that is vista.

15. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Vista = ram hog.

16. Bluephoenix

keep a very close eye on how much RAM the OS uses depending on applications, when in an idle (no programs running) it will still read that the mem is being used by the OS (good) but when you activate a program the OS will release most of the mem it's using to that application. Remember, you bought the RAM for a reason.

17. DougEdey

RTFT

18. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Sorry it has to do with the thread?

19. DougEdey

Yes, it's explained in this thread any many others that RAM usage is a good thing.

After all you don't buy a double bed and sleep in one corner in the foetal position.

20. tech3312

doesn't happen to me

Tags: Add Tags