1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Polyview V293 19"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Surnia, 20 Oct 2009.

1. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

Does anyone know the LCD technology behind this monitor? its about 5 years old, costed me $300~ CDN back then. Refresh rate is an abysmal 21ms, but only noticable when you have black lines moving (anything else does not exhibit trails or ghosting surprisingly, including black shapes)

I'm quite sure its a TN Film monitor, but the viewing angle on it is massive compared to this Dell SP2309W. i just realized the difference today, when I was checking the dust filters and looked up... with the old setup and the V293 I could look at the screen with no problem, see everything normally (colours and brightness were all correct). With the Dell though, I got that darkening effect when looking from below.

The Dell (and the 15" viewsonic before it) visibly change colour when you go from side to side and vertically, but the Polyview maintains full colour reproduction. With normal pictures the colours maintain normal (no shifts), but the lagom tests do show some variation from the different angles, but they're considerably less than the dell.

Example, the lagom viewing angle test with the LAGOM written all over the grey background.. the Dell has the pattern shown at the bottom of the page, but the V293 has LAGOM in red + blue all over the main viewing angle, and a slow transition to red in ANY direction.

The Dell is amazing when head on, great res and colour, but it puzzles me that a 5 year old LCD from an unknown taiwanese maker has a better viewing angle, and yet the compnay no longer exists...

Thanks for any information!

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i am guessing its an IPS panel.

3. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

I'm wondering the same as well, but the price is what has me confused. I was under the assumption IPS was an expensive technology, how would they have produced an IPS 5 years ago for a measly $300 CDN? we were sitting around 0.80 CDN to US dollar, so about $240 USD in that year.

If they were producing IPS panels back then for such a low price point... how come they disappeared? I'd assume everyone would be after their monitors now.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

response times were the issues i believe, IPS is cheap if slow.

5. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Slow yes. But not cheap, it is a much more expensive type.

I'm guessing it might be a TN as it was cheap even back then. It could be a VA panel though. Possible MVA.

6. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

170º viewing angle apparently, looks more like a cheap IPS or PVA/MVA...

7. Elton

I'm guessing it's MVA, here's a test:

Look at the corners and see if black scenes appear purplish.

8. Surnia

Surnia What's a Dremel?

no purple, just minor backlight bleed from the bottom...

this is getting to be slightly interesting..

9. Elton

Hmm, it might be an S-IPS, or a regular IPS, but it's too cheap to be one....

Then again, it's all speculation. I still stand by my MVA statement.