1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Poor performance with new build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maximilian, 18 Dec 2014.

1. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Just thought I'd throw this out here for any quick fix ideas...

I've just built a budget PC and minecraft is running really slow

I would expect the performance to be much better after reading various reviews of the hardware etc

Spec
    Intel g3258 not tried over clocking yet
    Amd 260x 1gb
    4gb 1600 vengeance ram one stick
    Corsair cxm430w
    Windows 8.1
    Catalyst latest drivers

Installed mine craft and when running into trees etc the GPs can drop to 20-30 and it's really slow and unplayable, even with the video settings pretty low

This is at 1920x1200

I would expect the performance to be far better, and I neeto fix this asap so any ideas or advice would be appreciated

I'm going to try a reinstall of the os next

I'm wondering if my cpu or GPU could be being throttled or something, or if something is defective, surely the power supply would be adequate for this setup

2. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd try overclocking first before reinstalling. The reviews suggest you get the best from that CPU by overclocking it. I'd monitor your CPU and GPU temps as well to make sure they're not throttling due to heat.

The PSU wouldn't cause throttling, it'd shut down if there wasn't enough power.

I've assumed you've installed the latest drivers for the chipset as well as the GPU.

3. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Everything is running very cool, about 40 in the cpu with stock cooler and 30 on the GPU
    Not tried chipset drivers yet, will give that a go

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

5. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Heard about that, but surely I shouldn't need it to fix my problem, was I wrong to expect such a huge difference in performance with this spec?
    That is the question on my mind....

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Minecraft is pretty poorly optimized to be honest. Even with my i5 + 8GB + SSD + GTX770 I encounter unexpected slowdown here and there.

Recently, I dropped at 2fps because I reached the max memory allocated to the JVM when playing with redstone ... 1GB by default. My opinion, JAVA should be banned for anything needing performances.

INFO: My current screen has a resolution of 1280 x 1024, so I shouldn't have this.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'd say the 4GiB RAM would be the limiting factor with Minecraft, as Guille says, it's a complete memory hog.

I'm out of touch with AMD graphics, but is the 260 a low end card?
    Scratch that, looks like it's an mid range card, only slightly behind a GTX660 in Futuremark.

8. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Try turning off VSync and the OpenGl setting, that bumps up my fps on modded MCs. Also, I believe I remember reading people were getting less performance with MC and Java 8 than 7, but I don't think it was ever a proven thing.

Edit: Could be a lack of memory as others have suggested too.

9. Maximilian

Maximilian WC Virgin

Thanks for all the suggestions, have the day off tomorrow to troubleshoot and get this machine running smoothly. It's a christmas present for my girlfriend's daughter so want to get it all running great before I hand it over.

I can try:-
    updating all drivers
    adding more RAM from my own machine
    overclocking the CPU
    running other games like crisis, battlefield, tomb raider etc
    reinstalling windows
    running a few benchmarks

Will report back soon...