1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Poor WiFi reception, how to add a repeater/another access point?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fannypad, 12 Oct 2004.

1. fannypad

fannypad What's a Dremel?

An 802.11g network I installed in my clueless friend's three-floor house has been suffering from poor signal quality for a while now.

The network consists of a D-Link ADSL modem/ethernet router feeding into a Dell WiFi access point on the first floor, and several computers and laptops spread throughout the ground, first and second floors.

Now, setting up a WinXP WiFi network is relatively simple and I'm not exactly an expert, but I remember reading that extra access points can be used with the same network to increase coverage.

How does this work? And will a normal access point do the job? What's a repeater?

I'd assume it's a matter of linking the second AP to the main Dell AP, then changing the gateway and DNS server settings on the machines I want to use on the new AP to its IP.

Any detailed instructions much appreciated, many thanks :)

2. fannypad

fannypad What's a Dremel?

Anyone?

3. hk

hk Powered By Duracell

I assume you have the AP connected to the ADSL router using a cat5 cable? If so just connect another access point to the same router (assuming its a multiport router), just use a longer length of cable and position the new access point elsewhere.

You could always hack the access points firmware to see if you can boost the power output on the transmitter (somewhat illegal). Or boost the signal using a higher gain antenna.

4. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

If the signal is just dodgy then a 5db antenna will probably get you the extra distance you need to make it stable. Worked for me. You could also try moving the AP slightly, or adding a pig tail to the antenna for a better position. Some slight movment of the antennas on mine (5db, no pig tail) really helped the signal in my place.

5. ElCid

ElCid What's a Dremel?

You dont need a repeater. And I dont think anyone even sells those anymore.

6. Seth

Seth What's a Dremel?

linksys just came out with one. hah its called a wireless extender. ;)

Tags: