1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Port blocking help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spacemunkee, 11 Jan 2007.

1. spacemunkee

spacemunkee What's a Dremel?

Port blocking help.

To cut a real long story short, housemate using torrents to the point that the internet is unusable for me 24/7. Were using a netgear router and i have the admin password. I am able to block ports and port ranges. Does anyone know the range i can block above, for example i know utorrent uses mostly ports aroudn 50,000 etc and http is around port 80. So can i block say all ports above 10,000?

Not being a **** but please dont offer the "just tell him to stop" because it has been done many times by me and other housemate. He has some disorder where he like collects stuff.. and it just so happens its series/films ugh its a nightmare.

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

1) unplug his cable?
    2) most torrent clients will work on any port you give it so it may be an issue to block -- can it do QoS? if so, use it on the torrent stuff...

3. specofdust

specofdust Banned

QoS would probably be applied on ports, not based upon the type of packet. Even if it was, he could activate encryption in something like uTorrent and carry on nice and easily. He can simply avoid QoS or blocked ports by randomising the used port, and if push came to shove he could probably use one that you won't want to close, like SHTTP or POP3 - both of which you'd need open for general usage. I can't think of any way you can stop him just using admin controls myself. It's possible your router has bandwidth limits that you can place on users, if you could limit his IP then that'd sort you out untill he changed it(or untill he restarted if he's just using the things DHCP).

I'd suggest you find another solution. Perhaps stop paying your share of the ISP bill untill he agrees to be reasonable regarding torrents. It's perfectly possible for people to torrent fairly heavily and not disturb anyone elses usage. It simply involves using the scheduler in uTorrent and reasonable limits on bandwidth during the day.

Oh and I believe the disorder of collecting warez is generally known as being a geek :p

4. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, if anyone knows, I have a friend who has a flatmate obsessed with the sexeh vid's...

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Set DHCP lease time to a week or so, and then set the firewall to deny all to that IP... That's the way I do it at my student house when someone is taking up all the bandwith...

1 hour of deny all (ie no internet acces what so ever) is mostly enough to cool them down.

Being an admin is tough ;)

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

My routers must all be special, they block all ports apart from the standard http/ftp/smtp jobbies. The only way I got my torrent client to work was to open the specific ports.

So first: make sure your firewall is on

7. nicotine

nicotine What's a Dremel?

Just block everything. Then him = owned.

8. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

if you can, set timed access lists on your router? to block his access during peek times?

you could set a limit of how many connections his IP could get from your router, and thus breaking the idea of a torrent (if you limit his ip to say 10 open connections at any one time he will get poor speed)

9. spacemunkee

On the firewall rules page it has all outbound services enabled but all inbound as blocked.i can add rules to stop any port/all ports. Its just which ports can i afford to block so that the internet is useable.

10. spacemunkee

something i found which does disrupt the whole torrents thing is by turning upnp off.. no idea why

11. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

You could block all ports (bar port 80) to and from his machine's IP on a schedule.

Then he'll have nothing but normal web page access during the times you guys want to use the internet and then he can torrent at night when everyone's asleep and doesn't care. :)

12. spacemunkee

good call airchie. I know he uses skype thought to call home, anyone know of the port that uses? for now i have blocked every port above 10,000 since utorrent random port generator never goes below this.

13. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Most Torrent clients have the ability to limit their bandwidth. Ask him nicely if he'll restrict it to say 250KB down/25KB up? That should make it un-noticeable to everyone else, but still give him a respectable speed. Utorrent is ideal for this, as it allows scheduling too, so it could increase during the night when no-one else is using it.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I'd say set up to 10kb/s

EDIT: uPnP basically means that it opens ports when required from an internal machine.

It may be best if you read your instruction manual.

Tags: