1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable LAN Gaming PC build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fused, 4 Mar 2008.

1. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Right easter hols are coming up and Im going to begin my first casemod during them. Ive got a cheap mATX cube case in mind, pretty good, with some modding ideas in development. My main problem is hardware: (At the moment I am planning to watercool the CPU)

I have:
    Intel E4500 2.20ghz
    BFG Geforce 8800 GT 512 OC

What I need:
    Motherboard
    PSU
    (Plus all the various other things standard for pc but I dont need much help there)
    For memory I guess I will end up with 2GB of OCZ DDR2 800mhz (seing as RAM is pretty cheap right now)

I have found two mATX motherboards that could be suitable but I really want to know their overclocking potential
    GigaByte GA-G33M-DS2R Motherboard
    ABIT Fatal1ty F-190HD HDMI Motherboard
    (I know there both HTPC motherboards but there isnt much choice in mATX department)

Im sure Ive read somewhere about how good the abit one is for overclocking but I cant find the article now!
    Any help on deciding which one or suggesting a better one would be great

Also what kind of PSU am I going to need to run all of this.

I cant spend too much and I have been looking out for decent second hand parts (such as the cpu and gpu i have above) but I guess with a psu its better to go new!

Thanks for your help guys

Last edited: 5 Mar 2008
  2. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Any advice anyone?

3. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

I don't like gigabyte. the last mATX board I got was a lemon. (it was socket 939 6150, so YMMV)

find user reviews on both, go with the one w/ most positives.

I'd reccomend around 550-600W PSU on the safe side. I'm assuming the case you are using can handle full ATX PSUs?

PSU calculator. there are a few others floating around somewhere.

4. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

How much space have you got for the PSU? Can it be a normal sized one?

5. Fused

Fused Minimodder

Yes the case is compatible with standard sized atx psus

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

"Decent hand parts" maybe second hand? Anyway I recently tested G92-cards on my E6750-setup and the power drawn from the grid never exceeded 230 Watts, so going for a 600 W unit is total waste. A safe choice would be Corsair VX450, but if you're going for low budget build then there might be some even cheaper power supplies to look at. Dunno about the motherboards, I think there was a mATX-roundup lately on Bit-tech? Was there G33 Gigabytes tested?

7. Fused

Fused Minimodder

There was a mATX round up and I think that particualr gigabyte board was tested however they didnt it from the perspective from a HTPC so they didnt really do any overclocking performance tests.

And yes I did mean decent second hand parts* Ill fix it now thanks for noticing