1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Positronic Brain - Project completed. Photo gallery.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by awadon, 16 Feb 2011.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Looks pretty sweet, and steampunkesk.

Your detailing is pretty cool. just wish the distiller could be seen more.

2. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Thanks.
    Distiller location is unfortunately the result of maintaining functionality .... The size of plasma balls forced me to change the concept of the case at the very beginning.

3. ASPHIAX

ASPHIAX Minimodder

Looking good mate !
    Nice work on the screen details also!

4. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Today's changes.
    I've installed a LCD in the frame.

[​IMG]

Finished a ball mount.

[​IMG]

Brass cleared on the edge of the front.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleared and finished one of the grills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/align]

5. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

Ladies and Gentlemen. Again, a small request :)

Today I received the logo. Now the front looks like this:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have an idea for how to finish cd bay? I need to manage the entire selected area:

[​IMG]

I have some ideas, but maybe someone came up with something brilliant:) I'll be grateful:)

6. sinner666999

sinner666999 What's a Dremel?

I think putting something similar to the finishes on the top of case would look good. Or mount some brass finished analogue guages.

7. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

I've mounted plasma balls.

[​IMG]

To create a Faraday cage I've glued chamber with aluminium foil.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And covered holes with plywood

[​IMG]

I've made rear panel too.

[​IMG]

Besides the network and power supply I also consider about the departure of USB.

8. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Relly nice update :D Now let's see some hardware in that thing :D

It's a good idea to shield it in some way but I think you got it a little bit wrong. The Faraday cage should be around the sensitive equipment not around what's generating the static electricity. I think you might even make it worse by doing like you have. I know what happens when you put a piece of aluminium foil on a plasma ball and that's what make it shot sparks and that you do not want in a computer :nono: That one was a big 40 cm ball they had on the science museum though might be different with the small ones. Also a Faraday cage should be made from perforated material like a mesh not a solid. Though I don't know if a thin layer is more like a solid material or a mesh. It can have the similar effect just because it's so thin. The Faraday cage should also be connected to the ground so it leads away the static.

9. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Would it be possible to solder a wire to the foil areas and solder the other end to the earth pin of that kettle lead socket?

Just a thought, seemed logical to me, entirely possible that i'm wrong though.

10. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

You are not exactly right.
    After wiki:

A Faraday cage or Faraday shield is an enclosure formed by conducting material or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks out external static electric fields....

So as you see it's a kind of a barrier for electromagnetic waves. It doesn't matter if it shields equipment or source of interference. Any metal box is a Faraday cage. You put some gears inside to protect it from for example lightning, because it's hard to put a lightning in it :) And I just very good know what is my source of interference :)

So don't worry. I've study this topic very well, before I've even though about putting balls in a computer.

Aluminium foil is connected with a strainer. It's makes perfect cage. It isn't connected with a ball at any point. All of it will be grounded of course. I've tested it too, for example with a cellular. So trust me. I'm 100% sure it's good idea.

Of course motherboard will be in another cage too. But it isn't necessary.

I will say only this. For my next project I'm testing shielding from magnetic field. It's a pain in the ass!!!! Shielding electrostatic, or electromagnetic field is piss of cake.

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

^^ I wouldn't want to eat that piss cake :lol:

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

came there through MOTM, fantastic mod! if you have space for it on the part with the DVD bay, you could consider building a support to store keyboard and mouse when you are not using the PC.

13. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Guess you have more knowledge then me then :p Well I was rather tired when I wrote that so then the brain don't work so god. I read that wiki text aswell but got a completley different picture :p

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Congrats!

15. awadon

awadon What's a Dremel?

At first I want to thank you all for nomination for MOTM. Thank you for voting and watching my work progress. It really means a lot for me. :blush:

Today I wanted to finish the front and make cover of the CD bay.

I cut out long peace of brass.

[​IMG]

Then, between this two layers I've decided to paste oak veneer. This way I hope to achieve the same affect, as on top of the case.

[​IMG]

Since in this part of the case I could already put wax, so I decided to use a heat activeted glue (butapren - buta(dien) + (chloro)pren. I don't how it's called in english). This is simple shape. And I had such a bonding experience among others in one of the previous projects.

[​IMG]

I did not want to dirt the surface, so I've put it on the tape used for painting.

[​IMG]

I've sanded case surface and covered with glue. After drying, the iron went into motion.

[​IMG]

And this is effect after using stain.

[​IMG]

I don't quite accept the appearance of the two parallel strips of brass. So I will work on it. Maybe some free thinking?

16. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

You sooooo have my vote for MOTM! :thumb: Beautiful!

17. Stem83

Stem83 Addicted to modding.

I agree angel.. Very Bioshock looking too..

Beautiful woodmanship.. :clap:

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

looking great :)

19. ronwon

ronwon What's a Dremel?

:clap: amazing :clap:

20. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Well, I've been accused of wanting to be balls-deep in a computer...

Seriously, though, this is sexy as hell. The brass inlay is freakin fantastic.