1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Possible Memory Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by airtekh, 28 Apr 2010.

1. airtekh

airtekh What's a Dremel?

I think I have a problem with my RAM.

About a month ago I was playing a game and got a Blue Screen of Death. I assumed it was something to do with the game and thought no more about it. Soon after I got another BSOD with a different error message while playing a different game, so I knew I had a problem. The error messages indicated a memory problem of some sort, so I ran Windows memory diagnostics against the two sticks of 2GB RAM I had individually. This revealed errors with one of the sticks but not with the other, so I discarded that and carried on with just the one stick of 2GB.

A few days ago I got another BSOD and I assumed that the second stick had given up the ghost too. I ran the memory checker and sure enough, there were loads of errors with it, enough to prevent me booting into Windows. I turned the computer off and ordered some new memory to fit it with.

Just out of curiosity, I turned the computer on again yesterday, after leaving it off overnight, and ran the memory checker once more; but it revealed no errors. It also allowed me to boot into Windows. Perplexed, I carried on until a few hours later, when I got yet another BSOD.

I don't know what the hell is going on. I was assuming it was a memory problem but now I'm thinking that it might be something else. Here are a few questions that I have if someone would be kind enough to answer them:

1) Does this sound like a typical memory problem? If not, what else could the problem be?

2) If it is a memory problem, is this a common thing to happen (i.e stop working for no reason)?

3) Would the fact I'm running 32-bit Windows 7 having 4GB of RAM have something to do with the memory failing? (It's not possible to have more that 3GB of RAM in a 32-bit OS, right?)

4) The memory I had was listed as being 800MHz at boot time but the manufacturer's spec was 1066Mhz. Should this have been manually corrected in the bios and would it have contributed to memory failure?

New memory is on the way so I'll see what happens when I put that in; hopefully that won't get fried too.

Specs:

ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo Mobo
    Corsair HX620W PSU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 CPU
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4890 Graphics
    1x2GB Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 1066Mhz memory (Was 2x2GB)
    Windows 7 32-bit Home Premium OS

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

1) Check the RAM isn't overheating & you're running it at the correct voltage
    2) Memory errors can cause symptoms like that
    3) Windows 7 32bit supports 4GB RAM but that includes your GFX card & chipset so you only ever get 3.3GB to play with
    4) You need to set the 1066 speed in the BIOS. 800MHz is the highest the JDEC standard goes to.

thehippoz likes this.
  3. airtekh

airtekh What's a Dremel?

Ok, so it's been a few days but since the second BSOD, but it hasn't given me any trouble since. I did update my graphics drivers and BIOS which may or may not have something to do with it.

The new memory arrived but I haven't put it in yet because the problem has not occurred since.

Maybe it was a software bug that caused it? Then again, what sort of software bug causes memtest to produce errors?

Ah the joys of computing... :sigh:

4. Anarki

Anarki CULV fan

How long did you leave memtest running? Even if your memory is indeed somewhat defective, it might not show any errors during the first few runs. If your sticks keep getting fried, it might be a motherboard problem too.