1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Possible to fix this fan?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wyx087, 3 Sep 2021.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I've got a good deal on ebay for Noctua low profile cooler with the 92mm*14mm fan. The cooler is great, but the fan doesn't work. Got partial refund and bought a brand new fan instead. But would be good to get this working if possible.

Initially would only spin up to 250rpm, then after leaving it to spin for a while, it would have this vibration and slow down every few seconds. Please see video.

I was able to push the brown fan blades out quite easily compared to what's seen on disassembly videos. So my guess is the bearing or the bit that's meant to hold it in place is knackered.

If it's an easy fix but require parts, or you want it for parts, do shout.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's very difficult to tell what might be the cause here. The first thing you want to rule out is the PWM function (if it is a 4-wire fan), so hook it up to a 3-pin header or -- even better -- power it directly from Molex if you have a suitable adapter. If the fan doesn't work with a plain 12v power signal, then my guess would be that it's beyond repair. The vibration might just be how that fan is...

wyx087 likes this.
  3. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I am a monster...but could you just get funky with a dab of hot glue?

4. wyx087

It was being powered without PWM control enabled. It's beyond repair just as I thought, ah well.

Compared to the brand new fan from same brown manufacturer, this one has significantly more resistance when trying to spin manually. I think the bearing is knackered.

The goal is to make it spin better, not to hot glue it fixed ;)
    Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

5. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

If the stick is sticking to your hand and feeling very hot, then yes!

wyx087 likes this.
  6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

IT sounds like the bearing is dry. Open it up and put some lubes in there.

wyx087 likes this.
  7. wyx087

How does one go about lubing the bearing? I think I've identified it, it's a small completely enclosed item.

I agree, from the resistance when trying spin it, it does sound like bearing fault.

If no one on here wants it for parts, I've listed on ebay as for parts.

Last edited: 6 Sep 2021
  8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I think I was over-estimating the sheer dab of glue to fix the issue in my mind at that time. I know it was to do with the vibration, but now I'm na so sure.

*Read in a Scottish accent* It makes no more sense..but it sounds SO much better :D

wyx087 and Arboreal like this.
  9. Vault-Tec

There is usually a cover in the "blow" side. You pop it out. Then there will be some sort of plastic C ring. You remove that and the fan should come out. Then you just need a small bit of oil around the bearing etc (which will probably be plastic).

It could even be that during shipping the blades were pushed toward the frame and it just needs pulling back a mm or so.

10. Vault-Tec

11. wyx087

Construction seems different..... I think the non-serviceable metal thing is the bearing in this fan.

8B5BE59F-1F80-4690-AB85-3B31DCD15153.jpeg

I have tried pushing and pulling the fan to different height relative to the frame before powering on, to no success.