1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible too small of a power supply?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by m0ng0lh0rde, 17 Jul 2007.

1. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

OK, recently, roughly since I replaced a couple of HDs in my system, I have been having some odd issues. Loss of network connectivity, even though the cable is plugged in, and shows a link light, Win reports no connection.

Trying to change the network properties will cause the machine to lock up, eventually going to a black screen, with no error messages, until I finally either hit reset, or power off and back on.

Here's what I've got in the machine, starting with the power supply:
    550w power supply
    eVGA 680i SLI motherboard
    Intel Core2 Duo e6600
    4GB DDR2-800 RAM (4x1GB)
    PNY 8800GTS 640MB vid card
    Creative X-Fi Fatality soundcard
    16x DVD-ROM
    DVD+-RW w/Lightscribe
    2 200GB Western Digital SATAII drives
    2 250GB Western Digital SATAII drives
    1 160GB Maxtor SATAII drive
    3 120mm fans
    3 80mm fans

Sound like maybe I've got just too much on the power supply? Or am I sniffing around the wrong tree?

Thanks

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom New Member

it depends on the make of the power supply... if its a cheapie... you very well could be overloading it. If its a good brand, 550 should be enough for now. The C2D is pretty light on the power usage, and the 5 hdds get started up so the idle current isnt *too* bad.

3. m0ng0lh0rde

m0ng0lh0rde New Member

PS is an Ultra X-Connect, if that helps....

Actually today saw my first graphic glitch on startup, at the green Vista loading screen, for just a second, saw a black "tear" going about 1/3 the way across the screen, cleared up almost as soon as I saw, and seemed to be working OK.

4. cmberry20

cmberry20 Mad Scientist

Its doesn't really sound like a PSU problem, but you do have an awful lot of hardware for a 550W PSU.

To try & rule out the PSU just unplug unnecessary items, like the hard drives, DVD drives & remove PCI card plus 2 sticks of RAM. See if the PC becomes more stable if you do this.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2007