1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Small Form Factor Possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hokuem, 28 Nov 2003.

1. Hokuem

Hokuem Guest

I was searching for a case to put a HTPC and I found a really nice one, but the problem is that his dimensions are 22cmx38cm.

Is there a performant mobo out there that could fit in this, and is not very expensive? (It will have to play .avi files from my hard drive to my TV in fullscreen) :confused:

2. Cyberbob:-)

Cyberbob:-) Minimodder

First off welcome to the boards. Enjoy your stay, we are a friendly lot here.... :p

You could always put a VIA EPIA Nehemiah M10000. They are only 17cmX17cm. It has a built in CPU, Graphics chip 5.1 sound ans Lan. Not the cheapest card. But if you had to buy all that seperate. It would cost more

They are made for HTPC. Here's a Linky

I might be getting myself one on sunday.... :D

3. Hokuem

Hokuem Guest

cool

Nice, thanks for the link! :D

But it don't have a AGP slot? I was thinking of putting something like an AIW 7200 64 AGP so the image quality will be nice. But whatever, if it was made to be an HTPC the video card should read my .avi movies in fullscreen!

Now just have to find one in Canada... :miffed:

And by the way, where do you get those slim DVD drives, because if there's some room left inside the case I would like to also use it as a DVD player...

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Re: cool

you dont need an agp card - it has tv out onboard and you can use a pci tv card for the tv. try places like newegg or something, i dunno though i dont shop in canada that often.

5. Experiment 625

Experiment 625 What's a Dremel?

Re: cool

Just go for the AIW VE. It's a PCI card with 64mb radeon 7000 and the same MPEG decoder chip as the 9000 series AIW's. It's what I had in my Epia system. Big improvement over the onboard video.

If you're looking for parts in Canada, pm me, I went through the same thing trying to get my stuff to this side of the boarder on the cheap :) new to board so not sure if mods want links to shops posted.

6. Hokuem

Hokuem Guest

pm?

I'm new to the board too but it seems I can't PM you, I got a message saying I don't have the admin privileges or something like that... :confused:

What is your e-mail?

7. olv

olv he's so bright

mATX motherboards are approx. 22cm x 25cm and flex atx are smaller then that. With the space you've got to work with i think u'd be better off with matx or flex atx rather then a VIA motherboard because of range or CPU's you can use and could work out cheaper.

8. Experiment 625

Experiment 625 What's a Dremel?

Re: pm?

I haven't tried pm's on this board either... just fire me an e-mail to hhdang (at) hotmail.com.

9. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

Also Ultim8pcs stock the mini itx insight P4 board for £141 inc VAT now.

10. Kookalamans

Kookalamans What's a Dremel?

Walibe, do you have a link to that please?

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

12. MadD_b0mBeR

MadD_b0mBeR What's a Dremel?

ahh yes, BUT, whats the power draw of the p4 cpu? 70 watts? 80 watts? im not certain, but its somewhere up there. add to that about 15watts for a HD, 20watts for a DVD, and u r looking at needing quite a large powersupply, not like the 'snap in' single board PSUs u can get. the VIA one is the best way of making a SMALL (tiny, really tiny), but still useable PC. Oh, and the less said about trying to cool that intel toaster the better.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, you couldnt use the snap-in boards anyway cause they are DESIGNED for EPIA systems not general mini-itx.

You can get mobile p4s and pop em in there, laptop cooling can handle that. P4s arent the cheapest things on earth ill admit, a skt 370 or skt A one would be better but the bloody sockets are too big i spose :( Its not like you need a powerful P4 in it mind, 1.6A/1.8A should do, even... cele *gasp*. :worried:

You can get 180W ones, that arent DC-DC or 110W DC-DC ones like i use, but its expensive, however cheaper for me cause i already owned the DVD drive so 55W PSU + slimline dvd or 110W psu cost the same amount.

Tags: