1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Possibly no PS3 in Europe

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Shuriken, 24 Jan 2007.

1. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

A friend of was told by a gamestation employee that they're expecting PS3's in march, and if the PS3 wasn't available in march Sony would not be releasing it over here, but instead legalizing imports.
    Has anyone else been told this? seems like an odd move, but with all sony has pulled over the last year, nothing they do could surprise me anymore :sigh:

2. K

K 528491

LOL

Sounds like complete crap to me.

3. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

That's got to be a complete lie. Why would Sony have taken down Lik-sang if they were to allow imports?

4. orb

orb satisfying.

I don't think they were expecting to be this much of a failure

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

How much of a failure is it?

Sam

6. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

Lol, no.

Ian

7. orb

orb satisfying.

There's PS3's stock in stores, this isn't what they were expecting, Wii's are still sold out in a lot of places, or atleast the places I check when I walk to work.

8. z3rb

z3rb +4 str +4 stam

While this would be the best thing ever, I doubt it's going to happen.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Sony have reconfirmed import prices and say March.

Official adverts will come out this week (tomorrow or Friday)

10. Shuriken

To be honest, even though I wont buy one, I don't want to see the PS3 fail, as I think the 360 and the wii are too different to really be in direct competition, and without competition things tend to get stale.

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

They'll sell PS3's in Europe and they'll sell millions and millions of them. It may be delayed, but it'll still launch around Easter time. The market is far too big to ignore (even if they do treat it worse than the other regions)

12. Shuriken

Just seen that thread saying a GAME employee said it won't be here 'til september, so I'm drawing the conclusion console shop employees don't really have a clue just like the rest of us (and possibly sony)

13. LogicalChaos

LogicalChaos What's a Dremel?

March 23 confirmed Here

14. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I could swear I heard on the radio this morning that they said Friday the 13th of March.
    I was clearly imagining as there isn't a Friday the 13th of March. The BBC seems to have the full details.
    The price is set as everyone had guessed high at £425 (probably then you can stick VAT on that) which is not going to appeal to many people within the mainstream market, however the market they are appealing to is those with the cash to spend or those who are daft enough to shell that much out on the product, and at the end of the day they are the people that all the companys are likely to target for early adopters.

I'm still struggling to think of anyone who would/could justify spending that much on a console that comes with no games or at the moment has any good games to speak of.

Just think of what other stuff you could get for that kind of money though.
    You could build/buy a low end system, or an Xbox360 with a stack of games, or a Wii with a larger stack of games, or a reasonable LCD TV, or even a car (albeit not a fantastic one). I do think for the product they are selling its a huge ammount to ask in the day and age where everyone wants something for nothing or on the super cheap.

15. mushky

mushky gimme snails

wasn't the ps2 about that much when it was released? taking inflation into account...

16. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

do they ever ? arn't all shop assistants becoming robots that can't even do mental arithmetic to figure out your change ? should you produce coinage once they've punched opened the cash draw ?

17. plug_in_ross

plug_in_ross What's a Dremel?

From what I remember, it was somewhere in the region of £250-£300. Though I could be wrong.

I can imagine there will be a lot of people buying a PS3 purely for its Blu-ray capabilities (as it would be the cheapest Blu-ray player on the market), and not actually bother buying any games. The same thing happened in Japan when it was released, they sold more PS3's than they did actual games.

18. Icecoldbagey

Icecoldbagey Mountain Dew!!!

Yep, the PS2 was £299 on release date. History of prices in every country Here

Ice

19. Shuriken

And back then the ps2 was also one of the cheapest DVD players on the market, so based on that and taking inflation into account maybe the ps3 won't be such a flop :S