1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Possibly not enough power?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cookie Monster, 5 Feb 2013.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I've got a Zotac miniITX board with an AMD Phenom II 955BE and 8gb RAM all ran by a SilverStone 450w PSU. If I use onboard graphics there is no problem, but if I plug in the HD6670 (2gb), I get no display. I've just ripped my main rig apart to check the graphics card and it works fine.

Would this suggest that the 450w isn't powerful enough for the build? Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks.

Last edited: 10 Feb 2013
  2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

That PSU should be plenty for that setup. I would check the BIOS setting about the IGP & graphic cards, maybe it is prioritized even with the grapics card installed ?

3. Cookie Monster

Well I thought I had done that, but it turns out that the CMOS battery is dead, so I've replaced it and it's still not working. It should just auto detect the card and over ride the onboard if its set right, yes?

After a quick google, I'd say the setting I had (GFXO-GPP-IGFX-PCI) would be the right one, with the primary PCI-E slot coming before the onboard graphics?

Stolen from google,

GFX0 = primary pci-e slot
    IGFX = built in graphics
    PCI = PCI slot
    GPP = Not sure, possible the secondary pci-e slot.

4. Cookie Monster

Anyone else got any ideas?

I took it to my local PC shop, buy they had no PCI-E graphics cards to test the slot. I've tried googling what cards are compatible with the motherboard but I can't find anything.

I also noticed that the slot is PCI-E 2.0 and the card is 2.1, but that shouldn't make a difference.

5. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

what kind of results do you get when you connect to the integrated chip while the 6670 is plugged in?

PCI-E 2.1 can connect to 2.0 just fine, so no worries there. I've never heard of a motherboard not being compatible with a graphics card, closest I can think of is when I was working on some crap HP boxes at work that turned off their PCI-E channels when I dropped in some PCI cards.

all signs point to the motherboard, Zotac is good enough a brand that I wouldn't suspect any design flaws in the board. Is the BIOS up to date? A newer version might be better at auto-detecting the card.

6. Cookie Monster

With the graphics card plugged in and the monitor connected to the onBoard graphics, not connected it up for a few days, but I think I get the "No Signal" box on the screen, I definitely get a black screen.

I'll boot it up tonight and check the bios.

The next thing I should check really is a different card in the slot, it's just I'm reluctant to pull my rig apart as I'd need the graphics card and the PSU.