1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Post Your Graphical Eye Candy! (Image-Heavy)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by boiled_elephant, 13 Apr 2011.

1. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

Definitely, i still play an occasional bit of day of defeat source and am still impressed with the DX9 water effects. Still probably the best game engine for multiplayer games in terms of the balance between visuals and smooth gameplay on a 32 player server. Shame about the netcode though. :)

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Whitelist Bit-Tech in your adblock!

Mirror's Edge and Just Cause 2 are mentioned a lot, and I agree totally. I've been playing JC2 recently and it is stunning. What's weird is that it's even stunning with the visuals on minimum - I had to turn EVERYTHING except textures down to bottom to reduce a weird input lag problem, and it still looked fine. I had to double-take to make sure it had applied. All I really miss is the lighting effects and the anti-aliasing.

Also agree with the half-life 2 mention, every time I go back to that I notice again how well it's aging. The only thing that really lacks now is the textures, but there's probably mods out there to fix that.

Also agree about Black on PS2/XBC, it was a stupidly good-looking game for its time and hardware. Pity nobody ever did a working XBC emulator (seriously, why did that never happen? It uses DirectX already, for God's sake, how hard can it be compared to N64s?)

As for UT99, my point was just that the presentation was very bleak and brown. Everything was brown or gunmetal grey. The most colour I ever saw was the planet backdrop in Facing Worlds and the green slime (yay) in some of the interior levels.

Don't get me wrong, still one of my favourite games of all time (OF ALL TIME
    [​IMG])
    but it was never very pretty in terms of presentation and subject matter. Blood-spattered rusty metal just isn't art :lol:

Never tried World in Conflict, Metro 2033 or Red Dead Redemption, so they're on my to-do list now. And Dirt 2, of course - but I can't justify buying it till I've played Dirt 1 for at least an hour, since I already own that. Backlogbacklogbacklog.

edit - oh yeah, THAT'S why I haven't played Red Read Redemption. No PC release.

3. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

I must be the only one who liked Kayne & Lynch 2.

4. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Member

GTA4, if you have a very powerful CPU/GPU and can turn everything to max and put the draw distances up to to 50+

It is a quite hit and miss. Sometimes you think 'meh' but sometimes (for example cruising round at night time) you think "my god this looks just like real life".

boiled_elephant likes this.
  5. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I really enjoyed Kayne & Lynch 2, and I think they totally nailed the look they were going for, but I wouldn't call it visually stunning. It looks great for how simple the geometry is ( mostly really good textures ).

6. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Shattered Horizon, dirt 2, wings of prey.

7. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

8. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

If they brought RDR to the PC...my god, I wouldn't care what crap they would put in, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

9. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i thought borderlands was great looking as well, and with the cell shading it will hold up for a long time. just like xiii still looks good compared to 'realistic' looking games from the same release period. personally i think too much emphasis in trying to make it look realistic is one of the biggest causes that a game ends up looking dated. mirrors edge may be another example of a game thats looks will hold up as it also has a more stylized art direction.
    i also thought the silent hill series was quite good. you can tell there was a lot put into the art direction on those as well.

10. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter New Member

Dunno why, but to me, those screen shots look pants, hd textures or not. Maybe it's just been so long since I played crysis. Video's however look a lot better. Go figure.

11. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

An old one: Age of Empires 2.
    With nostalgia-glasses on it still looks awesome imo. :)

12. boiled_elephant

Ah, well, if we're putting on our nostalgia glasses, Final Fantasy VII's visuals still blow my mind :) (They actually do, but in a "wow, for the time..." way. I can't get over how much it did with so little.)

13. true_gamer

true_gamer Well-Known Member

Flashback on the Megadrive.

14. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

+1 for Flashback..though on Amiga.

I remember being amazed at the original Dune on the Amiga. Still enjoyable to play actually.

15. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I still think WaW is by far the best looking of the CoD's..

16. true_gamer

true_gamer Well-Known Member

Mafia 2. Physx is fantastic!

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I agree the single player looked fantastic.

18. DoctorBeat

DoctorBeat New Member

Mafia 2 indeed, physics or no physics

19. boiled_elephant

I must admit, I did have an eyegasm the first time I got out in a car in Mafia II. The cars are gorgeous, I love that whole era and setting and seeing it realised in that much detail was a dream come true. And then it started snowing :eek:

I've been deliberating whether Oblivion qualifies as eye candy or not, because it looks horrible out of the box and unpatched, but with the patches, the texture mods and the LOD fixes it looks jaw-dropping. Oblivion's half-finished status and lovely graphical potential are its own worst enemies, in fact: I've spent so much time modding and tweaking the game and admiring the resultant visuals that I haven't played it properly yet. Probably never will.

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I have mafia 2 on steam but have yet to try it... looks like I should, huh :D