1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Posting up portrates of kids?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Lithium, 2 Sep 2006.

1. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

What is you opinion of posting up shots of kids on flickr and such?

I did do at first but had second thoughts. Yeah I know not to post shots showing names or any other identification.

Would you call me sensible or paranoid?

2. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

Don't see anything wrong with it to be quite honest; they're there as art or as snapshots, nothing wrong with either of those. I can see how some parents are worried about the dangers of exposing photos of their kids to an audience which could possibly include paedophiles (guessing this is what you're worried about here?) but really, you could make the same comment about anything else. Nothing bad is going to realistically happen to the children in the photos as long as their parents are, well, being parents - looking out for the safety of their children in real life.

Fake-edit: None of the above really makes sense, so put simply: I can't see any harm in ordinary snapshots of your kids being on the interwibble as long as you're being a decent and responsible parent in real life.

3. Tomm

Tomm I also ride trials :¬)

At the end of the day, people can always see children out in public places, it's not like when they go on the internet they're exposed to a completely different group of people.

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Just don't give any contactable information.

That's my school rules, even for 12-18 year olds!

ch424

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Use good judgement. If they're not doing anything questionable and nothing gives away their location ("school" OK, "X school in Y town" not), then it's fine. Though that's really my rule for anyone, not just kids. Though if it's a single kid, and not yours, it's best to ask permission (again, goes for everyone, though moreso with kids in this case). It's almost a professional courtesy of sorts, even if you're not doing things professionally.

6. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

My common sense : Nothing wrong with it! Obviously no names/location available and permission should be asked.

My "heart-sense": When I'm browsing on this Belgian Photography Forum, I do feel akward when people post pictures of kids (sub 16). I know there is nothing wrong with the pictures, I just wouldn't want pics of my kids on there (if I would have kids). And if I don't want my kids to be on it, then I'm sure other parents wouldn't want there's to be on it either. But my emotions are cleary influenced by the paedophiles we had in Belgium the last years.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

if they're your kids? nothing wrong with it as long as your conscience allows it. if they're other peoples' kids? then you need their express consent, and their express written consent if you're going to sell them.

8. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I think it depends on the context of the picture tbh. Having the appropriate persmission is a given.

9. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

schools place also lot's of photo's online sporting days trips etc
    http://www.groenewald.nl/gp/fotos/aktiviteiten/sportdag2006/98.jpg this is one of myself on the school sporting day :D

well just make sure their parents give permission and that nobody can trace were they live, as said above. but i think you will find more paedophiles in real life than there are here on bit-tech (well at least i hope there aren't lot's of them around here)

ow btw my hair is longer now, it doesn't look very good on the photo because i was letting become longer, now it's as long as the distance from the palm of my hand to my middle finger